Computer Help forum

General discussion

OS (XP Pro) Will Not Boot Up

by aeleon00 / October 24, 2005 8:25 AM PDT

The message on the black screen says:
Invalid Boot Diskette
Insert BOOT Diskette in A:

I think the hard drive has been corrupted but is there something I can do before starting over and reloading everything on the hard drive? thanks

This is a Dell Demension 4100 running XP Professional.
Plz respond to AEL703@aol.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OS (XP Pro) Will Not Boot Up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OS (XP Pro) Will Not Boot Up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are You Able to . . .
by Paul Roantree / October 24, 2005 8:32 AM PDT

Press F8 on boot and start in Safe Mode and try System Restore?

Collapse -
Tried F8
by aeleon00 / October 24, 2005 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Are You Able to . . .

Same message came back:
Invalid Book Diskette
Insert BOOT diskette in A:

What's a boot diskette?

Collapse -
Aeleon, Just Checking...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2005 8:56 AM PDT

Have you removed all disks from the floppy drive and from the CD-rom drive? The error you've listed can occur when a disk is left in one of those drives.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No Disks, No CD's in Computer
by aeleon00 / October 24, 2005 11:24 AM PDT

Gonna try F8?

Collapse -
Boot problem
by The Fly / October 24, 2005 1:09 PM PDT

You could first try to remove and reseat your drive cables. If that does not help, go into the BIOS and reset your boot sequence to put the hard drive first. If it will boot now, you probably have a bad floppy or CD drive or the cable to the floppy may be bad. If none of this helps you may have a corrupted boot sector. Go to this MS page for info on fixing the MBR. If this does not work you can try to reformat the hard and start over or you may have to replace the hard drive.

Collapse -
Maybe
by phantazy / October 24, 2005 10:35 PM PDT

The boot sequence got changed in the BIOS when you power up. Try to access the Bios (usually del key on first screen opening), and see if the boot program is set to open for HDD0, and not floppy.

Collapse -
I think the hard drive is dying
by aeleon00 / October 27, 2005 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

I turned the computer off for a day since I didn't hae time to deal with it but when I turned it on again last night it booted up as normal. I think this may be a sign of hard drive failure? Probably time to replace this 4 1/2 year old Dell.
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.