Mac OS forum

General discussion

OS X Tiger 10.4.8 Archive and Install: Data Recovery Problem

by iceblvd / April 2, 2008 8:11 PM PDT

hi? Please HELP?anyone!

i reinstalled os x tiger 10.4.8 and updated to 10.4.11 last night.
i used Archive and Install but i don?t think i selected Preserve Users and Network Settings to preserve network and Home directory settings, and now none of the music plug-in softwares for Logic works.
it says they're all missing and need to reinstall. but the problem is that it takes too long of time to reinstall but not even that?most importantly, some of them i don?t have any info nor the installation cd. and all my songs?. working files that i?ve been working on for years are gone, no sounds?. i have nothing now.

how do i recover those missing files to make it work? does anyone know?

HELP SOMEONE PLEASE!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OS X Tiger 10.4.8 Archive and Install: Data Recovery Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OS X Tiger 10.4.8 Archive and Install: Data Recovery Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Archive and Install
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 2, 2008 9:37 PM PDT

It probably took longer to post your question and wait for an answer that it ever would to reinstall Logic.

How to recover the missing plugins? They are in the Previous System folder, probably in one of the library's, possibly in the Application support folder or a folder called Logic.

Locate them and put them in the same folders, in the new system folder, as you got them from in the old system folder.

All you working files should still be available, they should have been in your HOME folder somewhere. Where did you save them to?
Look inside that Previous System folder and look for "Users". You may find them in there.

Of course, as a first line of defense, you could always restore all the missing stuff from your backup, you do have a backup of your important work, don't you?

Hard to believe that you would have been working on files for years and not have some form of backup of them.

What was your motive for the Archive and Install?

P

Collapse -
archive and install
by iceblvd / April 2, 2008 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Archive and Install

i had a backup hd but believe it or not, it's been stolen recently...
sigh.... non-stop bad luck.

Collapse -
the reason for reinstalling os x
by iceblvd / April 2, 2008 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Archive and Install

i was working with an IT guy to fix the comp problem i've been having, he had me buy the disk warrior.
it fixed a lot of stuff but still couldn't fix em all. he then told me to reinstall os x. so that's why.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you ever find the missing Plug-is?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 11:08 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!