Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac OS forum

General discussion

OS X 10.6.2 is out!

by tkessler / November 9, 2009 7:12 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OS X 10.6.2 is out!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OS X 10.6.2 is out!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DO not install 10.6.2 unless you like Connection Failed erro
by tjrv / November 12, 2009 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: OS X 10.6.2 is out!

10.6.2 is the first update from Apple that I can pretty much say it went out before its time. After updating two macs, an 8 core system and a 1 year old macbook, I now get connection failed errors on both systems. The error is always on top of all screens, and there is no way to remove it, as it just comes right back. There are many disscusion logs about the problem and no way to fix it. I am trying to download the combo updater to run that, but I, along with almost everyone else, is doing the same thing. Downloading at 450K/sec. This is a 479mb file. Save yourself some trouble and do not install this. If you find a solution, email me at tjrv @comcast.net. If I find a solution, I will post it here.

Russ

Collapse -
sorry to her this
by macnerd10 / November 12, 2009 10:19 AM PST

but looks like you got an incremental update through Software Update. This is always a second choice, the first one being a combo. If you have your SL install disk, you can run disk utility off it and hopefully the message would be gone.

Collapse -
More info on connection problem with 10.6.2
by bastonivineyards / November 12, 2009 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: sorry to her this

OK, did a combo update to the power book. Left the 8core upstairs alone with the error going on the main screen, and using the second screen to us the computer. The laptop still has the same problem. Running more diags but it seems to be trying to talk to my Windoz computer, as it should. two macs and a PC. Couldn't do anything to fix it, so I came back upstairs to desktop. This computer is now working fine! Nope, I didn't do a darn thing. It just started working without the error message. The only thing that could have happened between the last time I used the computer with the error popping up and now, about 90 min, is time machine must have done a backup. Nothing else was done. the laptop also has as time machine disk connected to it, but since I have been dinking with it perhaps not letting it sleep or whatever, it did not fix itself? Crazy problem. Anybody else have connection problems with their PCs and MACs on the same network with 10.6.2?

Collapse -
maybe it's a rumor
by macnerd10 / November 12, 2009 1:46 PM PST

but I heard that an OS update should be done with all externals disconnected.

Collapse -
All externals disconnected?
by bastonivineyards / November 13, 2009 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: maybe it's a rumor

Um, I never heard of any requirement of all externals disconnected for a software update. I did figure out the two macs were trying to talk to the Windoz PC. The Windoz PC sees and can talk to the macs, but not the other way around. The fix is to turn off the PC. I can no longer use the PC unless I want the error message. Neat way for Apple to stop people from using windowz.

Collapse -
Disconnecting peripherals,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 13, 2009 4:10 AM PST

is not so uncommon.
Some people experience the loss of external drives after an update and will, at the next update, unmount and switch off, any externals.
Once the update is complete and the machine restarted, they turn the externals back on again.

You may want to recheck your configuration on the PC for this error problem.

If you have the PC icon on the desktop of the Mac, put it in the trash and the Mac will no longer attempt to connect to it at start up.

P

Collapse -
Connection failure with 10.6.2
by gitano1--2008 / November 16, 2009 6:22 AM PST

I noticed a greater tendency for my iMac to drop my connection, or, at least it seemed so, following the download of 10.6.2. I retrograded my system on Saturday by installing the original OS that came with the iMac, 10.6.1. No difference was noted, so I reinstalled the update. Then I did some further research. If you are using an Apple Airport Extreme your problem could well be a simple setting. Enter your Airport Utilities and set a specific channel, I used 9 which worked well, rather than automatic. I am no sure why this is happening. but it appears that when the system is set to automatically seek a channel it drifts and that explains drops and the inability to get connected. Once I set the channel things got rock solid again as they had been with my previous iMac which, BTW, had been running Snow Leopard from its inception.

Collapse -
MyScreen'sAllWashedOut!
by klor5 / November 13, 2009 7:07 PM PST
In reply to: OS X 10.6.2 is out!

Since the 10.6.2 update all the colours on my screen seem washed out (Using DVI).Damn!
I also had a problem with no audio output but I fixed this in System Preferences.The update changed the input/output to SoundFlower for some reason.Damn!

Anyone with any advice for my washed out screen problem?I would really appreciate it.Damn!

Collapse -
Boot with the extension key held down
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 13, 2009 9:36 PM PST

until you see the Apple and the spinning gear.

Still washed out?

P

Collapse -
WhoAre YouPostingToMrMacFixit?
by klor5 / November 14, 2009 1:53 AM PST

If you were posting to me?
Apple logo/Spinning Daisy I got during Boot-up as per normal after updating.Colours still washed out after several restarts,shut downs and starts,unplugging DVI and plugging back in.Never had this problem with 10.6.0 or 10.6.1.Haven't noticed any other irregularities though.I'm using a Dell Ultrasharp 2408 WFP.I can't tell you whats going on with my MacBook Pro display because I broke it a long time ago.

I also noticed that @ Macintosh HD > System > Library > Displays > Overrides > DisplayVendorID-(Folders),there's no "DisplayVendorID" folder that matches the Maker# and Model# that ColorSync Utility gives me for the Dell 2408.Namely:

Manufacturer#000010AC
Model#0000A02A

Damn!Damn!Damn!

Collapse -
ForgetMyLastSubjectTitleMrFixit
by klor5 / November 14, 2009 2:12 AM PST

Sorry Mr.Fixit.I see you were posting to me.I'm having a bad brain day.Damn!

Collapse -
BadBrainDay
by klor5 / November 14, 2009 2:21 AM PST

Mr.MacFixit what key do you mean when you say "extension key" ?

Collapse -
Another bad brain day!, It's catching.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2009 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: BadBrainDay

I meant to type SHIFT key, which disables some extensions when you boot up.

See where the brain was going???

Sorry for the confusion

P

Collapse -
Damn!
by klor5 / November 14, 2009 7:34 PM PST

Hi Mr.MacFixit I tried your suggestion of holding down the SHIFT key while booting.It made no difference to the washed out colours on my screen.

It did have another effect though.It completely broke Safari.When I click on it's Dock icon it bounces once and the "Safari quit unexpectedly-Send report to Apple" window comes up within a second and a half.I have Restarted,Shut down,re-booted at least half a dozen times but to no avail.Damn!

I haven't noticed any other new problems though.

Collapse -
ProblemOnlyIn64BitMode
by klor5 / November 14, 2009 8:23 PM PST

MrMacFixit,my problem of Safari crashing at launch goes away when I launch it as a 32 bit app.I hate using it in 32 bit mode.It's so slow.I've gotta say Windows 7 is looking pretty tempting at the moment.Damn!

Collapse -
At this point I would suggest
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2009 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: ProblemOnlyIn64BitMode

that you go for an Archive and Install of the System (Preserver user settings).

This will place a new copy of the system on your HD while preserving all your data.

Do NOT proceed with the install unless you choose the Archive and Install option. I believe this is the default for Snow Leopard

P

Collapse -
PreserveUserSettings?
by klor5 / November 15, 2009 1:18 AM PST

Doesn't that mean by default that it would also preserve my user problems,particularly: My Safari 64 bit app. is completely dead?

PS-Yes I have tried deleting Safaris' plist files.Makes no difference.

Collapse -
No, it shouldn't
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 15, 2009 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: PreserveUserSettings?

Takes about 20 minutes, if that, and is worth a try

P

Collapse -
chill out and reinstall
by macnerd10 / November 15, 2009 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: ProblemOnlyIn64BitMode

You have been offered several suggestions and it looks like you did not follow them. First, reapply the combo update. You can use any browser to do it. The link is: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosxv1062updatecombo.html
If this does not work, insert your 10.6 DVD into the slot and start the computer with the C key pressed until you see the Apple logo. In the menu, go to Disk Utility and launch it. Choose "repair disk". See what it does and what it finds. If everything checks out, chances are you should be OK. If not, you might need to do an archive and install of the system (basically reinstall it from original DVD), and then apply the combo update. That normally cures all problems. Please report back so, if things go really wrong (hardware issue, although I doubt it), people could think of other options.
Concerning 32-bit, it is strange that you see slowing down of Safari. Normally, it should not happen. But if you are not satisfied, take any other of the available browsers (Flock, Firefox, Camino, Opera, iCab, OmniWeb, SeaMonkey).
Last question: did you try to calibrate the display (sorry if I missed that).
I would also check the monitor site because chances are that it may have problems with 10.6.2 and you may need a new driver. Actually, I would start with this.The rest is to exclude more subtle possibilities. The more I think about it, the more I lean towards this problem. Good luck!

Collapse -
WhatSeveralSuggestions?
by klor5 / November 15, 2009 6:54 PM PST

Macnerd10 I have no Idea what suggestions you are referring to.I had one query about my washed out screen problem and one suggestion to archive & re-install OS X to fix my dead Safari problem.Add to that your suggestion to try running the 10.6.2 Combo Installer.

I clicked on the link you provided,downloaded the combo installer and ran it.Guess what?
No more washed out screen!
Safari 64 Bit alive and kicking!
All is back to normal in the land of Mactopia!

Thanks macnerd10 I appreciate the good advice.

Collapse -
What'sUpWithComboUpdates?
by klor5 / November 15, 2009 8:43 PM PST

I used a Combo Update for the first time.Normally I use the Software Update under the Apple in the MenuBar.Are Combo Updates only for OS X updates (eg.10.6.1 → 10.6.2) or can you get Combo Updates for anything you would normally get from Software Update?I don't understand why they are called Combo Updates either.What are they combining?

Collapse -
only for system software
by macnerd10 / November 16, 2009 1:17 AM PST

The combo update combines several system software updates in one. The first update, like 10.6.1, cannot be a combo by definition. I am not a programmer, just stating what many others have found: the number of problems with incremental updates is greater than the one with combo updates. This must be some weakness of these updates or the way they update (less versus more radical). And software update built-in in all Macs is not always working well. For some reason, only OS has combo updates and some versions of MS Office. Most or all other software, AFAIK, has only incremental updates.
Enjoy the Mac!
P.S. If you are really interested in this problem, you can always try to Google it; maybe some discussions would pop up and be more informative.

Collapse -
color profiles?
by tkessler / November 16, 2009 10:56 AM PST

Have you tried setting the display's color profile in the system preferences? If not then try that. Additionally, you can try calibrating your display in the same system preferences, which should help you to address color problems like this.

Collapse -
let it be
by macnerd10 / November 16, 2009 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: color profiles?

I asked the poster whether any suggestions were tried (including calibration) and got "what suggestions?" in reply. Oh, well. Looks like it all went well and the poster is happy.

Collapse -
It'sBeenA Hard DaysNight.
by klor5 / November 16, 2009 9:47 PM PST
In reply to: let it be

Hi macnerd10,you again seem to be suggesting that I'm ignoring advice that I asked for.I took MrMacFixits' advice to Boot up with the SHIFT key held down,I didn't immediately take his follow up advice of doing an Archive&Install (I've had to do 3 A&Installs since Snow Leopard came out,compared to zero times with Tiger for over 2 years),because I wanted to see if I could find an easier/quicker solution.

Then I saw your advice macnerd10 of downloading a Combo Updater from the link you provided and running it.I did this and it fixed my most pressing problem of a broken Safari 64 Bit app.I thought it had also fixed my washed out screen problem but it just changed last colour profile setting "DELL2408WFP" to my 2nd last "ColorMatch RGB".So I still have my original problem,but having Safari fixed is a big deal.I have no disk problems.

Tkessler,thanks for your advice.I have played around with the colour profiles in system preferences.I found "ColorMatch RGB" to offer the closest match to the flawless profile that "DELL2408WFP" had.I haven't tried calibrating because I've always found manual calibration of any kind of display (Including TV's) never turn out better than the pre-sets.I have no talent for it,never did.I'll have to find newer drivers (one of your tips macnerd10).

I still have Mr.MacFixits' Archive&Install up my sleeve,I just dislike doing them so much.So that's what I've done with the great advice I've received from cnet posters.If I've missed something evident to others please feel free to let me know SPECIFICALLY what I've missed,if you feel like it.

Collapse -
More suggestions about the monitor
by macnerd10 / November 17, 2009 1:25 AM PST

I suggested that you check for the latest drivers for your monitor, which you did not do. Hope that answers your question. Apple initially suggested that Dell update the firmware, which they did not or would not do, according to some discussions. A simple Google search turned up tons of discussions on this subject. The bottom line: one must just calibrate the monitor. However, there are some tricks including setting the monitor itself to sRGB and then continue calibration off the ColorSync in the Mac. There are also other suggestions about the best profiles. A general caution would be to first research the monitor you like for full compatibility with the computer, especially if choosing a PC monitor for a Mac.

Most informative (IMHO) links about calibration of this particular monitor are listed below:
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19241484/19368828.aspx
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=505607
http://simplestation.com/locomotion/calibrating-a-dell-2408wfp-with-spyder-elite-3/

If these measures fail, check also if this mini display to VGA firmware update is for your monitor. One poster said that the problem was there: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/firmware_hardware/minidisplayporttovgafirmwareupdate10.html

Collapse -
disregard
by macnerd10 / November 17, 2009 1:33 AM PST

my suggestion about the drivers. Looks like they have not been updated by Dell. So, I would go ahead and carefully calibrate the monitor using the info in the links provided. Don't be afraid experimenting with color profiles ? you can always revert back. I also think that Archive and Install would not help because the default in Leopard is that exactly (so you must have implemented it already with the combo update), and, judging from the posts, the problem is not related directly to the system. Technically, it is a system issue but it is up to Apple or Dell to address it in future updates. My best guess is that your system should be fine as is.

Collapse -
Can'tGet No Satisfaction
by klor5 / November 17, 2009 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: disregard

I went to the Dell website looking for drivers.They only offered me drivers for Windows machines.

I had a go at calibrating my monitor through system preferences and using ColorSync but as has been my experience in the past,I couldn't come up with a profile that looked better than the preset "ColorMatch RGB".

I also Googled this problem and found a number of helpful sounding manual colour profile set up guides.Most of them seemed to be aimed towards technically consistent colour accuracy from screen to final output (Printed material,DVD production,etc.) which in my experience means Under Saturated Colours for all round daily desktop usage.If I do get sick of the "ColorMatch RGB" profile,I'll have a go at one of the manual colour profile set-ups I came across or that you provided links to in your post macnerd10.Cheers.

Collapse -
manual calibration is not that bad
by macnerd10 / November 17, 2009 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: disregard

I do it with every new monitor and it always works. You can start as they suggest with sRGB on the monitor. If this is OK, leave it alone. If not, go to calibration in the display preferences and choose advanced/expert (whatever). That will allow you do a finetuned calibration.
Good luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!