Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

OS screen layout gone haywire - everything flipped to Left

by shaarii / June 27, 2006 5:33 PM PDT

I don't even know what the proper name for this problem is.

I'll try my best to paint an easy picture:
basically, the entire screen (not physical part) of windows xp os is flipped. the system tray/task bar is on my left side. EVERYTHING including my wallpaper, windows login screen, folders, programs, IE browser - all of them requires me to tip my head to the left side if i want to do anything.

This is truly an odd incident and I didn't even know how to begin a google search without knowing how to even identify such problem.

If this happened to anybody, please tell me how to fix it, because I am out of ideas and postingon forums is as good as I can do.

What I was doing before the screen reverted: simply typing in microsoft word. I was pressing ctrl + b to bold a word, i might have pressed ctrl + m or + n while i was typing - not sure at all... absolutely nothing else was being done...

any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OS screen layout gone haywire - everything flipped to Left
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OS screen layout gone haywire - everything flipped to Left
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
happened a long time ago. With just the desk top,
by DarCLew2 / June 27, 2006 7:27 PM PDT

Move it in a clockwise way by putting the cursor on the top end of the blank part of tool bar and pull it to the top right. now, to th right and then to down, left.
If the icons or tool bar is too big, drag the cursor over it until you get both arrows; hold down left side and draw down. You will see the start at top left, then top right to bottom right to bottom left. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Screen rotation
by sheilakmcd / June 27, 2006 8:58 PM PDT

You probably inadvertantly hit a hotkey combination that rotates your screen. Right click on your desktop, select Properties, Settings, Advanced and see if on either page (settings, or advanced) you can find screen rotation. There are probably options for rotating 90 degrees (which sounds like what you've done) and rotating 180 degrees. Set it back to normal, probably by continuing to rotate 90 degrees until it is upside right again.

I can't be more specific because different video adapters and drivers will have these settings in different places and worded differently, but if you explore around in display properties, you will find it.

For the future, there is also probably a setting in there somewhere to disable the hotkey combination that does this.

Collapse -
solved - thank you
by shaarii / June 27, 2006 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Screen rotation

i guess it's called screen rotation - next time i know were to look.

thank you guys for the replies - it worked beautifully.

have a good day guys!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.