General discussion

OS 10.5.8 Can't access Prefs, Reply or Create New Messages

Mail has suddenly stopped responding to just about any action like new, reply, preferences etc. It will still receive new email but nothing much else.
When trying to access these actions, nothing happens - no window, nothing apart from a brief flash of "File" being highlighted. Most recent change has been to install latest OS security patch but it wasn't working before this anyway.

any thoughts anyone?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: OS 10.5.8 Can't access Prefs, Reply or Create New Messages
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: OS 10.5.8 Can't access Prefs, Reply or Create New Messages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you tried repairing permissions?

if not, give it a try.

The other alternative, somewhat drastic and will involve reconfiguring your Mail settings, is to trash the Mail preference file.

Do the permissions thing first

P

- Collapse -
Not Mail at All - Hardware hiccup

Discovered that somehow New Message etc windows were being lost to 2nd screen running off macbook but not visible. Looks like the window address was lost in no-man's-land. when i removed the screen the macbook defaulted back to single screen mode and the New window became visible. No idea how it got like that but its solved nonetheless.

thx for the tip though
cheers
JayMaxx

- Collapse -
Mail

I think I saw Mac Mail as a download on the Apple site. If so then download and install.

CNET Forums