Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Ordinary .scr screensaver from W2k doesn't like XP

by elf.elf.baby / April 13, 2008 7:17 AM PDT

I suppose there are reasons that a plain .scr screensaver which I use on an old W2k machine, and also used on older operating systems wouldn't show up in the pulldown on XPPro or MCE, and I hope someone can explain all this.

First, putting the file wander.scr into C:\WINDOWS\system32, and even changing the name to sswander.scr, did not cause the pulldown to see it. (rc desktop, properties, screensaver). OK. So I gave up for a few years, but yesterday I got mad. Happy

I went into the registry and changed all occurences of SCRNSAVE.EXE where logon.scr occurred, to point to the sswander module. I discovered there was still no way to set it up, so I put a shortcut to it on the desktop, and RC that gave me test, configure, and install. Playing with these allowed me to set its particular features, and the registry contained another entry for timeout. (In fact, each of those was there 4 times). However, I then realized that the standard entry point still pointed to Starfield or whatever, and I had to set this to None, and also to the amount of time I wanted before it started, and, since None won't allow any settings, I had to put it back to something else, Beziers or whatever, and set time, (Yes, even though I had set it in the registry) and then set it back to None. Now here is the funny part.

I was doing this on 3 computers, two of which had Spybot S&D resident which informed me a registry change was in progress and asked me to allow it or not. I had to make sure to deny it when it was about to delete my entry, but doing that did not hurt my newly set timing. It was very very strange. It also seemed I had to do Install from RC the shortcut.

I tried to do these steps on the non-Spybot computer, and nothing worked. Obviously the registry was being updated all the time, and I would have had to go into it and change things back. I figured I'd just install Spybot (really this isn't a commercial) and eventually that machine worked too.

So, the question is, after all this, WHY DIDN'T THE STUPID .scr show up in the stupid pulldown in the first place. The screensaver, named Wandering Buttons, had not actually come with W2k; I got it somewhere else, and put it where it belonged and it showed right up, but not in XP. Or is where I put it NOT where it truly belongs? (lots of forum entries say that Windows/system32 is the right place). Anyway, I would love to know what is the real reason behind this. Anyone? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ordinary .scr screensaver from W2k doesn't like XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ordinary .scr screensaver from W2k doesn't like XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Screen savers are in the \Windows folder.
by Coryphaeus / April 13, 2008 9:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
more needed
by elf.elf.baby / April 13, 2008 11:17 PM PDT

Yes, the wander.scr (aka sswander.scr) screensaver is in c:\windows\system32, as I said in my initial post. The major question is why a screensaver put into the folder doesn't then automatically show up and work properly. Why did I have to go thru all the registry mods?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!