General discussion

ORDINAL 481 IS MISSING

Every time I try this error blocks and IE does not open. Kindly help

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: ORDINAL 481 IS MISSING
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ORDINAL 481 IS MISSING
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Every time you try what?

The most likely solution: reinstall IE using a fresh download from download.microsoft.com.

Kees

- Collapse -
every timr i try to load or install a new programme

When ever I try to install any program e.g. real player
The message is
the ordinal 481 is missing

- Collapse -
perhaps you have been

infected with a virus that is preventing you from doing anything.

- Collapse -
When ever

When ever I try to install a program e.g. real player
The message
The ordinal 481 is missing is shown.
I use Windows XP professional

- Collapse -
From what dll is it missing?

And what is the version (there's a version tab in its properties) of that particular url? Assuming it's iertutil.dll mine is 7.0.6000.16791 (for the one in c:\windows\ie8 although it applies to IE7) and 8.0.6001.18904 (for the one in c:\windows\system32).

It seems to change with quite a few critical updates. So messing with your updates might be fatal. You don't tell anything about what you've possibly done in the past to trigger this error. The link below from Brechan clearly is about a case of a person making a mess of those himself.

And what version, by the way, is your Internet Explorer (mine is 8.0.6001.18702).

And let me remark you still didn't make your problem clear. All we have now, combining all your 3 posts in this thread is:
"Every time I try to install a program e.g. real player this error (ordinal 481 not found) blocks and IE does not open." I fail to see the relation between an error during running a setup.exe (or whatever it's called) and running IE.

Kees

- Collapse -
(NT) Do a Google on ORDINAL 481

CNET Forums

Forum Info