Cameras forum

General discussion

Ordering camera this weekend... Canon PowerShot A710?

I am looking for a good, all-around camera that I can use to take pictures of my artwork with as well as scenes for reference. I also want to start taking pictures for the art of it, as I have always been kind of interested in photography, just never had the money that I was willing to spend on a camera.

After asking about it before, I was given some helpful advice and decided to go with the Canon PowerShot A710. My favotite online store, NewEgg, is selling this camera for $315 with a free 1GB card (more than enough space for me, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830120067). CNET gave this camera a 7.6 (http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerShot_A710_IS/4505-6501_7-32065685.html).

Before I order, is there anything I should be aware of? I know that Canon has a class-action lawsuit against them because their cameras sometimes simply stop working after an error message, but I am willing to take a risk, as they seem to make very good cameras.

And can anyone recommend a good battery charger (it uses AA batteries)? I had one a while ago, but it exploded... I've been too scared to buy one since.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ordering camera this weekend... Canon PowerShot A710?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ordering camera this weekend... Canon PowerShot A710?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or maybe the SD700 or 800 series?

In reply to: Ordering camera this weekend... Canon PowerShot A710?

I'm not too sure what to get. The SD700 is $1 more, has a rechargeable battery (so no chargers necessary, no extra $$) and seems to be in a pretty highly-rated series of cameras. And the 800 is new and flashy.

Collapse -
Canon A710

In reply to: Ordering camera this weekend... Canon PowerShot A710?

The A710 uses the same lens and other components that are in the new G7 (which costs $200 more).

Plus the A710 uses the 7 megapixel CCD sensor that has a bit less noise than other sensors that Canon uses.

$315 is a good price for a camera with the additional manual controls, 6X zoom and image stabilization.

I would stay away from the AA NiMH batteries/charger that recharge in less than an hour. Most of those, require that you use special NiMH batteries that have pop-off valves to prevent overheating. If you put the wrong type of NIMH battery in that fast charger, you could get fireworks.

Just buy a name brand charger/battery kit.

Collapse -
How does the SD700/800 compare?

In reply to: Canon A710

I found the SD700 on ZipZoomFly for about $285 shipped and the SD800 for about $347 shipped. With this camera, I won't need a battery charger, so thats less money and hassles, and NewEgg charges an additional $7 for shipping, as well as has higher prices to begin with. I also won't be using the free 1GB card that NewEgg is providing, as that card has a review of about 3 stars overall. I know what happens to cheap things, anyway.

It seems as if the SD700/800 is more compact much easier to carry than the A710, but I'm definitely not looking for anything that has to be small. Am I paying for the size and maneuverability of this camera, or are there some better features than the A710?

Thank you.

Collapse -
SD700/800

In reply to: How does the SD700/800 compare?

They have 4X zoom - the A710 has 6X zoom
The SD cameras are Point-and-Shoot only.
The A710 is an intermediate camera that can function as Point-and-Shoot and also provide the photographer more flexibility with manual controls.

None of the SD series of cameras have manual controls.
No Shutter Priority
No Aperture Priority
No Full Manual mode.

If you want to be more creative, you will need the manual controls.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.