Desktops forum

General discussion

Orange lines in Monitor

by shuhbonkboo / September 4, 2005 3:10 PM PDT

I have a Samsung flatCRT monitor and occasionally I'll see orange lines going across the right side of the monitor. After about 15 seconds all the lines disappear. What's going on here? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Orange lines in Monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Orange lines in Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more info
by linkit / September 4, 2005 9:52 PM PDT

Sounds like your tube is on the fritz--time to get a new monitor. Could be your video card--have you been able to test it the monitor on another computer?

DESCRIBE SYMPTOMS:
- Color? (Deep orange, kind of faded, light rainbow)
- Organized? (straight lines, constant width/size)?
- Disorganized? (random dots, segments, waves)?
- Traveling? (moving from where to where)?

If it's a light rainbow, it could be a magnetic field from an electronic device deflecting electrons from the cathode ray gun (unshielded speakers commonly cause this). However, there needs to be a dynamic magnetic field for this to occur intermittently, i.e., speaker power needs to be changing or speakers need to be moving.

Collapse -
Re: more info
by shuhbonkboo / September 5, 2005 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

I suppose a dark orange, but not too dark. They are straight lines that go from the farmost right side to about half way. I seem to notice them better when I open a window with a white background on the desktop. I just bought the monitor about half a year ago.

I have an ATI Radeon 9600XT video card. I just downloaded the latest Catalyst drivers. I haven't changed any settings besides the TV out configuration. Are there any changes I can make to fix the problem? Thanks!

Collapse -
Just noticed something new
by shuhbonkboo / September 5, 2005 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: more info

I'm using Firefox web browser I noticed there's an orange line across the folder tab. I'm not sure if it's always been there but that's the same orange color I see going across the screen sometimes. Also I see the orange when I open My Computer and hover over "name" "type" "total size". I don't know if that's supposed to happen but that's what I see.

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by linkit / September 5, 2005 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: more info

Hmmm...it would be very informative to see if this phenomenon were repeated while connected to a different computer, then you could confidently rule out your computer.

The good thing is that the Samsung monitors I have seen have a 3 year warranty. I'd check into it.

A shot in the dark:

1. Check monitor cable for kinks, frays, loose at jack or base of monitor.

2. Check to see if there are any ATI card diagnostics in Catalyst or downloadable from mfg.

Collapse -
Tried on another computer
by shuhbonkboo / September 5, 2005 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm...

Seems like that orange underlining in My Computer is standard on XP. Same with Firefox. So must be the monitor? But how, it's pretty new!

Collapse -
just to clarify
by linkit / September 5, 2005 8:23 AM PDT

Just to clarify...

Are you saying that the orange lines appear on the monitor when connected to computer one and to computer two?

If the orange appears while attached to each computer it is either the monitor's hardware or you need to install the latest driver from Samsung.com.

Try installing the latest driver.

Collapse -
It just appears when it feels like it
by shuhbonkboo / September 5, 2005 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: just to clarify

At no particular time. I'll try installing the latest drivers then.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?