Speakeasy forum

General discussion

"Orange" bank accounts -- anyone know anything about them?

We've gotten a couple of mail solicitations from ING Direct, Inc. offering us an "Orange" savings account at a pretty high interest rate. A friend had mentioned something about Orange accounts awhile back but I really don't know anything about them.

Does anyone know how they do it? Is there a catch? Would you recommend it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Orange" bank accounts -- anyone know anything about them?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Orange" bank accounts -- anyone know anything about them?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) I think Evie once mentioned something about having one.

In reply to: "Orange" bank accounts -- anyone know anything about them?

Collapse -
about as much as you probably

I know they are a virtual bank, 'brick and mortar' hq in the netherlands, they indicate they are fdic.

I have also received solicitations by us mail, free $25 to open account, free always makes one wary.

the one reason I vaguely remember why I did not take their offer was the time delay and procedure in withdrawing funds. that might have changed, I have not received anything in a year at least, they used to arrive quite regularly, every two months or so.

here is their usa customer link,

http://www.ing-usa.com/us/aboutING/index.htm

something under press release might be of interest to you. then you can explore to your heart's content.

caveat emptor

Collapse -
(NT) used to funnel money to Ulster?

Collapse -
That's Orange as in William of ...

In reply to: used to funnel money to Ulster?

The Dutch king persuaded to come to England to rule in conjunction with The Glorious Revolution of 1688.

Orange is also a cell phone company in Europe and Israel, though I don't know if they have any connection with ING Direct. ING has been in business for a fair length of time, though they are relatively new to the banking business. I believe they were in insurance before, and bought up Norwich Union Insurance in the UK.

BTW Oranjeboom (Orange Tree) is a very pleasant Lager from Holland.

Collapse -
I have used them

Like others have said, they are a virtual bank. They were one of the first to offer online savings and CD accounts. Now, every single bank is in it.
I don't think their rates are as competitive as they used to be.
I have used HSBC online savings account, currently paying 5.05% for savings, no minimums. I know Chase and Citi offer the same accounts for slightly lower rates.
You have many choices.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info, all

In reply to: I have used them

At first it looked like one of those "if it looks too good to be true..." type offers.

I'll give it some more consideration as well as other online options.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.