Computer Help forum

Question

Oracle Virtual Box

by grawhib / May 29, 2015 3:37 AM PDT

I decided to try the preview version of Windows 10 but not wanting to install it on my C drive I installed Virtual Box and then downloaded Windows 10 and saved it now I have the problem of installing it on the Box I keep getting the message that I have not enabled VT-x/AMD-v well I have accessed the bios to see if I can turn it on but cannot find any referance to it, my computer is fairly new and has an ASrock prossesor running at 3900 mhz any ideas
I am running Windows 8

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Oracle Virtual Box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Oracle Virtual Box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What is an ASrock processor?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Oracle Virtual Box
Collapse -
asrock
by grawhib / May 29, 2015 7:01 AM PDT

you are so right it was a slip of the brain/finger, however that aside I will have to check with the manufacturer re the processor

Collapse -
ASRock
by grawhib / May 29, 2015 7:32 AM PDT

my board is a ASRock 900FX Extreme9 I would have thought that that board would support VT-x/AMD-V

Collapse -
Still don't see which CPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: ASRock

A motherboard may support such but the CPU has to have it for the motherboard to support.

Collapse -
Virtual Machine
by grawhib / May 29, 2015 7:52 AM PDT

I think that I will try another virtual machine rather than Oracle's VirtualBox
the cpu is a 3.9 ghz AMD FX-6350 six core

Collapse -
OK, that has AMD-V
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Virtual Machine
Collapse -
model number
by grawhib / May 29, 2015 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, that has AMD-V

the model number is correct, 990FX Extreme9, Bus Clock 200 mhz, UEFI American Megatrends Inc P1.50 10/2/2013

Collapse -
900 is not 9980.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: model number

"ASRock 900FX Extreme9" is what you wrote. I work with details folk give me.

Collapse -
(NT) Typo. 900 is not 990.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: 900 is not 9980.
Collapse -
This virtualization sound like a pain to me.
by Oldartq / May 30, 2015 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, that has AMD-V

Why would anyone want that. There's no other easier method..like dual boot, or is that completely different?

Collapse -
At the office we use it for...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2015 2:11 AM PDT

We have some legacy apps dating way back to DOS to Windows XP days. Because we've moved on but want to support apps as long as possible the dev system is in a VM. This is contained in a single file that we can pull from the server or backups and bring up without having to keep DOS machines around.
Bob

Collapse -
So if your hardware have that capability then...
by Oldartq / May 30, 2015 2:51 AM PDT

you can run any OS? I won't missed my DOS but this makes me think of BeOS (one of a kind).

Collapse -
BeOS x86? Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2015 2:58 AM PDT

Not only run it but copy the file that holds it over and run it without all the work of setting up.

Install VirtualBox, open that VM file, run. Pretty cool.
Bob

Collapse -
Couple more questions;
by Oldartq / May 30, 2015 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: BeOS x86? Yup.
Collapse -
I see I supplied a link up above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2015 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Couple more questions;

"

http://superuser.com/questions/749355/64-bit-windows-guest-in-virtualbox-impossible-without-vt-x-support covers this requirement so if you can't enable such with BIOS or driver then look at other VMs.

"Thus, you need a processor that supports VT-x or AMD-V to use 64-bit guests with VirtualBox. However, QEMU, Bochs and VMWare Player all support 64-bit guests without hardware virtualization support (at least according to this page)." (see supplied link.)

"

Almost every 32 bit OS can be run without VT. And later I supplied a video and note about SPECCY.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Robert,
by Oldartq / May 30, 2015 11:02 AM PDT

I'll let you know when I get it. But I think I'll have to let it sink in naturally.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's talking about enabling it
by James Denison / May 30, 2015 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Oracle Virtual Box
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.