General discussion

Options for upgrading video card

I have an HP elite e9237 with an ATI 4650 GPU, it works ok but i am looking at upgrading to an ATI 5830 but I cant find the needed 6-pin supplemental power supply on the board. Am i doomed to be stuck with PCIe x16 board power or am i missing something here?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Options for upgrading video card
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Options for upgrading video card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Does the existing PSU provide enough watts/AMP for

the new card ?

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Existing PSU will be replaced

That stock junker 300 watt PSU is going out the window if the mobo can support the 58xx card. Looking at 650+ and upgraded case fans if the GPU pans out. I'm just more concerned atm if the card can actually be powered off that board properly

- Collapse -
Re the power connector ..those will come on the new PSU so

you should make sure the one you select has sufficient connectors for the various components in your system including the ones with 6 pins for the GPU.

Which PSUs are you looking at ?

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Get this if your PSU has enuf juice
- Collapse -
Perfect

To be honest i never stopped to think of something like this. Thank you very much Grin

- Collapse -
But you don't need that cable if you get a PSU with enough

watts, AMPs and cables for the new video card. The add-on/adapter cable is NOT a good idea if the PSU you're attaching it to isn't robust enough to support the GPU.

If you're going to play in the big league, get yourself a quality PSU to support the GPU and the rest of the system requirements.

VAPCMD

CNET Forums

Forum Info