General discussion

Options for extracting data from a 2.5 inch laptop HDD

My gf has an old very beat up compaq laptop that we want to extract some data from. The laptop has lots of physical damage and doesn't appear to be charging, though I don't know if its the charge cable, the battery, or something else physical in the charging connection.

Since it's old, I figured the easiest way was to extract the hard drive and plug it into something else. Now here's the kicker, I don't have "something else."

I know I could buy a 2.5 inch hard drive but I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble since this will be a one time extraction. So I'm looking for cheap options no more than a few bucks. Let's say keep it under $10, free would be best. The data isn't vital, but it's some sentimental pictures we were hoping to salvage.

I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd ask some creative people before I suck it up and buy something Happy TIA!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Options for extracting data from a 2.5 inch laptop HDD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Options for extracting data from a 2.5 inch laptop HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Too low.
- Collapse -
What Bob said, with a but . . .

The connector will not be "keyed", it's generic. Be careful you don't connect it upside down.

CNET Forums

Forum Info