Resolved Question

Options/Alternatives to Windows Security Center

Hi guys,

Here is my situation: when I got the new Mozilla Firefox 4, I was notified of having viruses, malware,and etc (18 of them) on my computer by the Windows Security Center. When I run a full computer scan with the free AVG Anti-Virus software, it did not detect anything. The Security Center keeps prompting me to buy the software to help me remove the threats. This is an expensive option for me, do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Discussion is locked
rayetong has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Options/Alternatives to Windows Security Center
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Options/Alternatives to Windows Security Center
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Sounds Like "Scareware/Rogue"............

rayetong..

Windows Security Center should NOT be prompting you to buy any software. What you described, is typical behavior of a rogue anti-spyware program. The warnings are FAKE. The below removal guide may not be the exact rogue you have installed, but the instructions for its removal should help. All the tools are FREE.

Scroll down to where you see "Automated Removal Instructions for Security Center using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:" and follow ALL the instructions. Do NOT click on any ads.

Remove Security Center (Uninstall Guide)

If you run into any problems along the way, please post back and ask.

Best of luck..
Carol

- Collapse -
An Added Note..

rayetong..

You wrote, "I was notified of having viruses, malware,and etc (18 of them) on my computer by the Windows Security Center"

If you look at the screenshot within the removal guide I included in my prior post, it states (in red): "Review harmful or potentially unwanted items: 18 total". I have no doubt, this isn't the only rogue, which reports a total of 18. My point being, it's NOT Windows Security Center which is alerting you.

More importantly it also states, "As none of the infection files actually exist on your computer, please disregard these scan results and do not purchase the program."

It might help to read, "Information on Rogue Programs & Scareware "

Carol

CNET Forums