Samsung forum

General discussion

optical wire needed for home theatre?

by stopanlookout / May 13, 2010 11:04 PM PDT

recently purchased a Samsung LCD Series 5 530 and home theatre HT-TZ425. They both work great with DVDs. Get quality sound from the Home Theater. Problem arises when i watch standard cable on my TV(DishTV India). It is connected through the AV port present on the back of the TV and the video is fine but the only audio output received is from the TV Speakers. Tried all i could but couldn't find a way to get audio output from the HomeTheatres Speakers.

the other problem is when i try to play HD videos through the USB port available with the HomeTheatre's DVD player. All standard video formats are supported but when i tried to play a 720p movie it said that the resolution exceeds 800x600. Tried the same with the TV's USB interface and it worked!! but as stated before i get audio only from the Tv's speakers when i do this. I read some posts and people suggested using the optical audio ports. will this solve my problem.
Thanks a million.

mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: optical wire needed for home theatre?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: optical wire needed for home theatre?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Optical audio
by jw650 / May 14, 2010 3:46 AM PDT

Yes, the optical cable will feed the sound back to the HT. Stereo outputs may do the same, if you have them, but are analogue only.

If the TV and HT have Anynet+, you should be able to switch from TV to HT speakers through the TV menus.

Collapse -
optical wire needed for home theatre?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 14, 2010 8:48 AM PDT

stopanlookout,

If you get 5.1, the optical audio directly from the DishTV box to the receiver (rather than from the TV will give you surround sound. The television will pass only 2.0 audio unless the signal comes in on the tuner, with with a cable box, it doesn't.

Picture: Cable box > HDMI > TV
Audio: Cable box > Optical > Receiver

The 720p movie does exceed 800x600, since 720p is shorthand for 1280x720.

I don't see the exact model of your TV, but either in the Setup or Audio menu, you may have an option to set "External Speakers". This will send all of the audio out through either the optical or the analog output.

--HDTech

Collapse -
little more clarification
by stopanlookout / May 14, 2010 2:00 PM PDT

the dish tv box doesn't have a digital audio out port. so the only option is the optical wire to the TV. and is there any way to play .mkv files by perhaps updating the TV's or HT's firmware?
alternatively could you suggest some other way to connect the TV up to the HT. what about the aux port?
appreciate the help..the exact TV model is LA46C530F1R

mike

Collapse -
little more clarification
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 17, 2010 11:13 AM PDT

stopanlookout,

MKVs playback will not be available on the C530 series of televisions. I'm not aware of that format being supported, and no firmware is planned to address that.

If the optical wire is connected to the TV, and the TV settings are set to External Speakers, then you should be getting audio. If you're still unable to get audio, I would recommend contacting the Samsung customer service center in your region.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by stopanlookout / May 14, 2010 2:14 PM PDT

and why exactly doesn't the HT support 720p playback when the TV does? Resolutions can be changed on the HT output to 1920x1080 but as mentioned earlier, when i try to play Hi-Def it says that the res exceeds 800x600.

Collapse -
HD USB playback
by jw650 / May 17, 2010 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

This could be an issue of licensing. I know DivX, in particular, is restricted to standard definition in some devices. You generally have to pay to get a HD player. The manufacturer may choose not to do that, or may not have been given the option.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.