General discussion

OPTICAL Viewfinder, BUT NOT electronic

I posted before and have narrowed down to Fujifilms finepix, the S series are nice 1800 spec. BUT its got an electronic VF, ive read pros and cons about optical VS electronic viefinders, and id still rather have the optical, not electronic VF....do any of these fujifilm finepix have regular VF instead of electronic??? My kodak had a regular VF as well as LCD, ive read about the Electronic Vf and i still rather have regular optical , manual, whatever you call it.... thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: OPTICAL Viewfinder, BUT NOT electronic
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: OPTICAL Viewfinder, BUT NOT electronic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Canon

I believe Canon is the only manufacturer offering some cameras with an built-in optical viewfinder. They have the SD1200 IS, the SD780 IS, and the G11/G12. Panasonic offers it on the LX3/5, but only as an optional accessory.

- Collapse -
thanks

i cked out the cameras you mentioned and the canons are too low of a zoom and panasonics are too expensive....

its like all im looking for is a camera sort of like the fujifilm finepix s1800, its 12 mp which its ok if its not that high, 8 is fine for me, but the zoom is good. I like high zoom over 10 at least and if possible a regular viewfinder and 200 dollars or less, they are out there but seems like if they dont have a viewfinder or if they do its electronic...never realized buying a camera was such a pain........

- Collapse -
Optical Viewfinder and Zoom = Not compatible

There is a reason why there are no high zoom cameras with an optical viewfinder. You would not be able to frame the photo using an optical viewfinder at the longest telephoto lengths. A DSLR is different because you are looking directly through the lens; the viewfinder image zooms in along with the lens. The viewfinder image remains constant with a compact or super zoom camera.

- Collapse -
which is better then?

i guess its about preference, but the electronic VF shows exactly what the lens sees, a little lcd screen in the VF, so since i prefer a VF instead of just the 3 inch LCD screen, should i just buy one with the electronic VF?

- Collapse -
Yes, maybe?

If you don't care for the features of the Canon SD1200 IS (the only sub-$200 compact with an optical viewfinder), or can't see paying $500 for the Canon G11 or G12, then an EVF is the only option...and so is the Fujifilm S1600, because there is no other $200 camera with an EVF. All the other EVF cameras are more expensive.

CNET Forums

Forum Info