Cameras forum

General discussion

Optical Image Stabilisers

Hi There,

I am looking for a x8 to x12 zoom camera and can see that the CNET editors highly rate the OlympusC-770 Ultra Zoom camera in their reviews. However do I need a camera with some kind of optical image stabilisation for shots over x5 zoom to prevent blurry pictures? Do I need to spend a bit more and look at something like the Panasonic DMC-FZ5?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Optical Image Stabilisers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Optical Image Stabilisers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Stabilizers

In reply to: Optical Image Stabilisers

Go to a store that will let you get your hands on the cameras.
Select any long lens camera, zoom it all the way out and point it at the far end of the store and pick out an object.
Notice how that object dances around on the LCD, in fact you probably can't keep it even near the center of the LCD.

If you are using 10X optical zoom, you are amplifying any camera movement by a factor of 10.

Now switch to the Viewfinder, press the camera to your face and notice that the object is much steadier.
You can improve that even more by leaning your shoulder against a post in the store.

Now you understand the problem and know one solution.

The ideal solution is a tripod.

...People who take those great shots of wildlife, use tripods for such shots.

Having image stabilization will not solve all your movement problems, but it helps.

There are plenty of people successfully using long lens cameras without image stabilization.

Collapse -
No tripods please

In reply to: Stabilizers

Thanks for that but i don't fancy carrying a tripod all the time. Can i take blur free images at x10 by just having a fairly steady hand or do i need OIS.

Collapse -
When traveling, the last thing I want is a tripod

In reply to: No tripods please

That is why I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3.

Collapse -
No Tripod

In reply to: No tripods please

I suggest you visit that camera store and check out a long lens camera at full zoom.

That will tell you how steady you can hold the camera.

If you have any doubts, get a camera with image stabilization.

The Panasonic cameras are well liked by their owners.

Collapse -
Check this out

In reply to: Optical Image Stabilisers

I had the Panasonic then was given the Konica-Minolta A2 for Xmas so I sold the Panasonic...

Minolta A2 a better camera no question...but last week I go out an get the Canon Power Shot S2 IS- wow this thing knocks the socks off both of them...

12 optical Zoom and a stabilizer that works...

if you want to see some photos...do a Goggle search

''Joe Ciccone''

will see shots taken by several good cameras...no Digital SLR's there just too big as far as I am concerned.

Collapse -
Tripod for digital cameras.

In reply to: Check this out

I followed the discussion on this aspect. I use Nikon coolpix4300 and have got, in my view, good pics. I can blow them up to A4 without much loss of defination. I have never used a tripod. A friend, a professional, for thiry years has stopped using tripod,since he started using digitals,(but he uses top of the range cameras) although about three tripods sit in his cupboards.
The problem of a time gap between the press of the take button and the action of the shutter,has caused me to think that perhaps tripod is necessary! or have I got a defective camera?
shafiq

Collapse -
Shutter Lag

In reply to: Tripod for digital cameras.

Shutter lag is the name for that delay you mention.

Most of the shutter lag is caused by the autofocus mechanism.

It is annoying, but there is not a need to use a tripod.

There are two solutions:

Frame your subject, press the shutter button half way down (this gives your camera time to focus), then press the shutter button the rest of the way down.

Frame you subject, press the shutter button all the way down. Silently count to three before moving the camera or yourself.

A little practice and either solution will become second nature.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!