Computer Help forum

General discussion

Optical drive will not read perfectly good written dvd's

by tchmaker007 / February 25, 2011 2:07 AM PST

I recently got a new computer with a windows 7 64-bit OS and a TSST Corp SH-S223C optical drive. My hoby is to burn anything that I find on the internet and create and whatnot - and I have what I consider a fairly nice collection. I maintain a list of all my dvd's and theri contense using the WhereIsIt v3.83.405 Portable program that has worked fine, except that recently I noticed that windows 7 gave me a notice of some smallish problem with it that I did not pay a lot of attention to at that time. At first, when I was cataloguing about a dozen dvd's everything was very nice, this after the alert. Then it would not read some discs. Now it will not read a vast majority of my burnt dvd's. Now these are my pride and joy, and I use only the best Verbatim blank dvd's. What happens when I put a disc in is that the optical drive just blinks and the green bar at the top keeps filling up and over and again. I used vso inspector, but when I put the disc in the program becomes nonresponsive. I upgraded the firmware. The discs were burnt with IsoBurn. The computer came with one of the Nero's I deleted it but saw no improvement.
I have no idea what this is, if it is a hardware or software issue.
This collection means a lot to me, and I really want my new comp and my archive discs to get along.
Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Optical drive will not read perfectly good written dvd's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Optical drive will not read perfectly good written dvd's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
slight correction
by tchmaker007 / February 25, 2011 2:13 AM PST

Sorry, the program is ImgBurn.

Collapse -
FYI- maybe
by Willy / February 25, 2011 2:31 AM PST

IMO, you have bad batch of Verbatium discs. Though, that's an issue now and then because so many are made and as it gets on the end cycle of pressing, the discs become less reliable. Also, since you seem to be doing alot of disc burning, you're placing alot of stress on the drive and maybe as a combo problem becomes less productive. You can still probably use these items, but at a "SLOWER SPEED" to help on this issue. If you buy bulk discs, beware as I stated, you never know what your always getting. Which is why I recommend more decent brands, like Sony, Philips, TEAC, etc., so try a new batch and check results. I consider Memorex, Verbatium and no-name brands on the less desirable side of discs. Not, that I haven't used them in the past, but when its my data I go towards others. Also, that drive is one I'm not overly familiar with, so it could be on the low quality side as well or maybe you simply wore it out. In other words TSST is pushing out drives to meet demand and some get through that shouldn't. If warranty can be used, use it.

http://www.tsstorage.com/tsst/index_e.html

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
re:
by tchmaker007 / February 25, 2011 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: FYI- maybe

First off, thank you very much for your response.
I have not made things sufficiently clear in my post.
The drive is brand new. I have burn nothing with it. It was made by samsung, or so I have been told, a good company as far as I know. All I did was read some 20 odd discs, which should not be any serious strain on it.
This is not a batch problem, as it spans batches.
Thank you again for responding.

Collapse -
Too little detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2011 3:47 AM PST

But I'll try anyway. If the drive failed, nothing will help. I know some owners think a new drive means it didn't fail which causes a lot of lost time.

But moving on. CDBURNERXP which works on 7 fine needs that Intel Rapid Storage app. I can't tell if this machine needs it. Sorry what is the make and model of machine we are discussing?
Bob

Collapse -
Optical units
by Bob__B / February 25, 2011 6:05 AM PST

It worked at first.
Then it started having problems with some disc.
Now it's having a problem with most disc.

Try a lens cleaner.
Replace the unit....there a toss it item...25 bucks.
Make it a warranty issue.

If your planning on doing serious optical work install two units in the machine and keep a spare on the shelf.

Collapse -
Same problem with 2 SH-S223C drives
by crwl / May 27, 2011 6:36 AM PDT

Sorry to comment on an old thread but I have the same issue. I have 2 SH-S223C drives that have the same problem reading burned DVDs. It is not all burned DVDs that have a problem, just about 1 out of 4 of the ones I have tried. I have 2 other Samsung drives on other computers that the DVDs are read perfectly fine in (one is SH-S223F and the other is a SH-S182D). The DVDs are from 4 different brands and burned at different times over the past 3 years. Windows just acts like there is not a disk in the drive. If anyone knows of a solution please let me know otherwise I'm thinking I will replace these with a couple of Asus drives.

Collapse -
Not that old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2011 6:44 AM PDT

The problem is that in the rush to the lower costs, the drive life is reduced. You should find after a few years in the biz that no make is immune.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.