Laptops forum

General discussion

Optical drive that works

by Majorb42 / December 6, 2010 2:05 AM PST

My optical drive won't play anything except perfectly clean DVDs. It rejects a lot of DVDs that work in other players. I know a lot of people with different brands of laptop who have the same problems or worse.

When I buy my next laptop, I would like to get one with an optical drive that lasts a few years. I take good care of my computer, so I don't need a toughbook, but I do need something that can withstand me carrying it to work and school most days.

Are any computers known for having long-lasting DVD drives?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Optical drive that works
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Optical drive that works
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
None I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 2:12 AM PST

The drives and the entire machines are made to hit price points and the drives are 50 or less dollar items that have limited life spans. Usually they last long enough.

But did you try a lens cleaner?
And why not replace the drive?
Bob

Collapse -
Seriously?
by Majorb42 / December 6, 2010 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: None I fear.

Thank you for the advice.

I tried a lens cleaner, but it didn't help. I looked into replacing the drive, but that will cost $300, and that's more than I wanted to invest in a then three-year-old, now four-year-old computer. Also, I don't feel like being without a computer for the week or two it will take Apple to fix it. I know some people might reply that it's unreasonable to expect the optical drive to last this long, but everything else on my computer works very well, and I'm planning on keeping it for another six months or so.

If three years is the best I can expect, than I can deal with that. What worries me more is the fact that many of my friends have optical drives that stopped working much sooner. I want to avoid those.

There are so many laptops to choose from, and they all boast different amazing features. I just hoped there would be some that have working optical drives. Is that seriously too much to ask?

Collapse -
That's not that high around here UNLESS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Seriously?

You have it done in a shop.

I make no apologies for what happened in the market as folk demanded low prices. We got them as CD/DVD recorders and players costing thousands at first passed to under 1K and now to the 50 buck level.

There is no sign that longer lived drives will return as the market is still asking for lower costs. And that is happening with machines with no CD/DVD drives.

OK now that I know it's an Apple, but not which one, here's a place for such drives.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/

Sorry but my PC drives run 50ish. The apples get a little more at 88 to 150 bucks.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?