TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Optical Cable not carrying sound?

by Race3KGT / November 1, 2010 3:58 PM PDT

My problem is that I am trying to hookup my old Aiwa CX-NAJ50 stereo to my Vizio E320VA HDTV with an optical cable but not I'm not getting any sound from the TV through the Aiwa speakers. I also tried hooking up my Toshiba SD-2800 DVD with S/PID to the TV, and the sound will not play through the TV either. Tried to enable pretty much every combination of audio selections for all hardware to ensure that digital was activated. I highly doubt that the Rocketfish fiber optic cable is bad, since whenever it is plugged into any of the devices, I can see the red light being emitted from the other end. So as my Vizio only has one S/PID connection, I would prefer to hook the Aiwa up to it for louder, deeper, and more variable sound, but whatever will work to get EITHER that or the DVD working with optical audio would be great. Anybody have a solution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Optical Cable not carrying sound?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Optical Cable not carrying sound?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Like you said;
by ahtoi / November 1, 2010 4:33 PM PDT

the OLD Aiwa CX-NAJ50. Don't expect it doing thing it cannot do. How about maybe just use the red and white audio connection instead.

Collapse -
Wrong inputs/outputs
by Pepe7 / November 2, 2010 1:41 AM PDT

FWIW, I always liked those old Aiwa mini systems. They generally work really well IME. Unfortunately, this particular Aiwa only has digital optical *out*. In order for you to have sound starting from the HDTV (or other component via digital output) to the Aiwa speakers, the Aiwa would have to have digital optical *in*. See p.21 of the online manual here-
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/CXNAJ50.pdf

Similarly, the Vizio won't accept a digital optical input from your DVD player, since it only has SPDIF *out*. See p.12 & p.25 of their manual here-
http://www.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/E320VA/72960HZ%20E%20SERIES.pdf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.