Question

Optical cable connection

I have a Samsung TV and Blu ray Home Cinema System and Sky HD box. At the moment I have an Aux cable connected to the sky box from the Home cinema so i can get surround sound. I purchased an optical cable to connect my sky box to home cinema as the sound will be better but it doesnt work. I have the function for the BD on D IN. Anyone have any ideas. I have no issues when playing DVD/Bluray as this is connected with an HDMI cable. Hope you can help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Optical cable connection
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Optical cable connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Many of those boxes are only stereo, even with optical.

As this is very dependent on the Sky Box capabilities and settings I suggest you not use optical in this case.

The connection I use is HDMI from said box to the sound system and the sound system does the audio work and outputs the video on HDMI to the HDTV.

When folk run the optical like you noted, I find most bewildered at the settings that are required and then upset about lip or audio sync issues. Which is why I would never hook it up that way.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

So if I use hdmi from sky hd box to homecinema system then another hdmi cable (if I have more than 1 socket dont know if I do) to my TV Then this will give me better sound when watching sky? Ill give it a go dont think I have more than one HDMI socket on home cinema system. I know I have 4 on TV. I have Sky plugged into one of them and the home cinema system plugged into another. Hope i am making sense!

- Collapse -
No I didn't write that.

I only offered how I hook up systems to avoid issues with lip sync and stereo only.

Is it better or worse? I can't tell you that.
Bob

CNET Forums