TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

OPPO BDP-83 vs. PlayStation 3 Slim

by bugklop / August 21, 2009 7:37 AM PDT

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a Blu-ray player and just like the subject says I'm stuck deciding between the two.

First of all, I already own Xbox 360 so I am not really looking for another gaming console. I am more interested in Blu-ray, MKV, H.264, and similar HD video format playback.

I'd appreciate any opinions and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OPPO BDP-83 vs. PlayStation 3 Slim
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OPPO BDP-83 vs. PlayStation 3 Slim
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Oppo is the best of the best
by givemeaname / August 21, 2009 8:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
by jostenmeat / August 21, 2009 9:32 AM PDT

from the unofficial oppo 983 faq...
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

... click on supported media... and you get this
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html#media-files

These file types are currently supported:

* avi
* divx
* gif
* jpg
* mkv
* mp3
* mpg
* png
* vob
* wma

These file types are not currently supported:

* 3gp
* ac3
* bmp
* dts
* fla
* flv
* m4v
* mlp
* mov
* mp4
* mpc
* m2ts (except in AVCHD directories)
* ogg
* ogm
* tif
* ts
* pcx
* wav
* wmv

it uses a Mediatek MT8520, which carries this description
* 582 pin BGA package
* Existing DVD player features plus BD-R/RE/ROM playback
* Hi-Def H.264/AVC, VC1, MPEG2 video decode, DivX, Nero support
* Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, Dolby TrueHD
* DTS Digital Surround, DTS-HD
* 500MHz ARM1176 core
* Still picture format support
* Security processor and hardware crypto engine for
1DES/2DES/AES/AACS/BD+/CSS/CPRM/DTCP
* 2-D graphics engine with font rendering acceleration
* Six 12-bit/148MHz TV encoder supporting up to 1080@60p output
* HDMI 1.3 transmitter with HDCP1.2
* USB 2.0 x 2
* Serial ATA x 2
* Ethernet MAC with MII"

otherwise, for best of the best, Id probably say Denon actually, but it's $4,500.

Collapse -
From a different perspective
by Dan Filice / August 21, 2009 11:12 AM PDT

I don't own an Oppo 83, but I do own an Oppo DVD player as well as a PS3. From my personal experience, I would go the OPPO direction, based solely on the fact that it is has a singular function of a DVD player. I love my PS3, but I get frustrated sometimes having to sift through all the game settings/functions, etc., so I prefer a cleaner, simpler machine. Also, (and this always seems to get the purists questioning me when I gripe about this), the PS3 does NOT send audio out of both the HDMI and Optical simultaneously. You need to get into the menu and choose which path you want. Seems silly, but I like to listen to DVD just through the TV speakers sometimes, and with a simple turn-on of the receiver, I can get surround of I desire. Many people ask "Why not just listen to the receiver? Who wants to listen to TV speakers?" Well, I do, and it ticks me off that the PS3 is an either-or choice on audio.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.