Desktops forum

General discussion

Opinions on this build?

by snackeyg / August 12, 2010 6:33 PM PDT

Hey everybody so I'm starting to get into PC gaming for the first time. I know enough about computers to understand what's good and how to build one if I try(which I'm going to), but I'm not sure on what I should get to be able to play anything I throw at it and have it be somewhat future proof. Anyway this is what I'm thinking right now. Any advice and opinions on any parts are greatly appreciated.

CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Gaming Case
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
CPU COOLING:Corsair H50
GRAPHICS CARD: ZOTAC AMP! ZT-40102-10P GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (2 of these)
HDD1:Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD/128GB
HDD2: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
MEMORY:Kingston HyperX T1 Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) XMP Tall HS Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3T1K3/6GX (2 of them + Kingston HyperX Fan)
Power Supply:SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Total:About $3400

Will 2 of the Zotac Amp fit on a Rampage III Extreme?

I'm trying to get an idea of what will last me longest without upgrading without wasting money. The computer will be for gaming only. I have a MacBook for everything else. Since I'm new to building and gaming PC it's hard to figure out what the best options are. I think I did a pretty good job. Maybe not.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opinions on this build?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opinions on this build?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
somewhat future proof
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 3:14 AM PDT

After watching folk try to do this for a few decades I have this advice.

SLASH YOUR BUDGET IN HALF and build that. That is plain cheap case (you can modify it to get more airflow easy!) and pull back to the i5 and drop the video card back a notch.

Put the savings in the bank and enjoy your gamer machine.

In short, cheap case, no SSD, i5 CPU, and one notch back on the GPU should land you at half price.
Bob

Collapse -
Build change
by snackeyg / August 13, 2010 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: somewhat future proof

I don't wanna cut it in half that's too weak for my taste. I didn't change a lot around and cut off about 1000 dollars though.

800D changed to HAF X
Graphics cards changed to two 460 EVGA Superclocked
HDD2 changed to just a normal 1TB HD
Ram cut from 12gb to 6gb

That is a price cut of $900.

Collapse -
PSU
by snackeyg / August 13, 2010 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Build change

And the PSU from 1500 watts to 1000 so 1000 total. lol

Collapse -
If you've used SSDs you find
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2010 12:31 AM PDT

A mixed bag of performance. I've seen some that are worse than normal hard drives. GET A RETURN POLICY on that.

Good list and approaching reasonable for top end gaming. I still like to go plain on the case since there is no need to attract attention there and it does not add speed.
Bob

Collapse -
I picked the case
by snackeyg / August 14, 2010 10:27 AM PDT

because it's huge and can fit basically anything and it has really good air cooling. I'm not smart enough for advanced water cooling.

Collapse -
you didn't mention a monitor
by ramarc / August 15, 2010 8:32 AM PDT

dual 460s are only of benefit if you're running dual/triple displays. if you've got a single 1920x1080 display, one card will be able to handle it.

profitt's advice is sound. don't blow your wad now and be stuck with a box that'll be midrange in 18 months. get an upper midrange box now, bank the savings, and upgrade it in 14 months. unless you have a huge display or just want bragging rights for the moment, there's not need going ultra-high-end for satisfying gaming.

Collapse -
That is upper midrange.
by snackeyg / August 15, 2010 9:33 AM PDT

Well at least to me especially when I've seen cases over $400. Most people say the HAF X will be fine for years. Also too me 200 doesn't seem like a lot for a case.

Monitor I'm not sure on yet but something between 20-30 inches. More towards 30 if the price is right.

As for Dual 460's I did a lot of research on graphics cards and 2 of them in SLI is the perfect amount of performance I want. 2 of them is equal too sometimes even better than one 480. A single 460 would disappoint me.

Also since I'm going to wait until black friday-christmas time to get this I'm sure there will be a bunch of specials on newegg.

Collapse -
Agree with cutting costs
by damasta55r / August 14, 2010 1:24 PM PDT

$200 something for a case...not a cost i would be able to justify.

consider a core i5 quad-core instead and a cheaper motherboard. Intel is going to change to a different socket in their Sandy Bridget platform so no chance at future-proofing.

Collapse -
Basics 1st
by Willy / August 14, 2010 7:45 PM PDT

Spend whatever you want on the case. Though, I think you already brought the case. I mention this as in "future proofing" it maybe the ONLY THING, 5-10yrs. from now that sticks around. Everything sooner or later gets replaced and/or upgraded. Once, you feel comfortable with the goodies installed, you'll see what becomes lacking as time goes on. The case itself is hard to improve upon, unless you're handy and its not as easy as sometimes suggested, though it can be done. Thus, a good case must alreay be big enough and have some do-dads or optionable items that can moved, swapped or fiddled with and get better results. A too cheap case can be restricting and too easily cut your fingers/hands when doing the simplest of tasks. Other than that, all other suggestions seem on target but again I stress, as time marches on, you'll find what gets the boot and considered for upgrade path.

adios -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.