Laptops forum

General discussion

opinions on just purchased x1000

by civic_tko / August 3, 2004 2:33 PM PDT

hey, about 2 hours ago i finalized my order for my custom compaq x1000 series notebook... i'm confident i made a good decision, but i'm just looking for opinions on if you think the system will be a good one... specs are:

pentium m 745 (1.8 ghz)
windows xp pro
1x512mb ddr sdram
80 gb hard drive @ 5400 rpm
dvd+rw/r & cd-rw
intel pro wireless 2200 (802.11 b/g) & bluetooth
wsxga+ (1680x1050) res.
64mb ati mobility radeon 9200 graphics card

any opinions appreciated, just wanted a powerful/mobile machine... thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: opinions on just purchased x1000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: opinions on just purchased x1000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: opinions on just purchased x1000
by KenSanramon / August 3, 2004 2:49 PM PDT

Yes, that is a great setup. You have the 1 stick RAM so you can add another 512RAM for about $100 yourself later for much less.

You have the 5400rpm hard drive (50% faster than 4200rpm)

You have the 64mb dedicated video (maxiumum for this Compaq X1000 series -- good as cannot be upgraded later).

The 1.8 Pentium M is a bit pricey --most people at X100forums.com have been ordering the 1.6 Pentium M Dothan or 1.7 Pentium M Dothan but you will be happy this CPU if you were willing to pay the extra $

The only issue with the DVD burner is that int only burns DVD + so many DVD players will not accept that format (very new quality ones will). But if you wanted one internally then it is good to get that now ($200 more than CD-RW/DVD ROM most people order).

Yes, you will be very happy with this notebook and you should be able to play the new Doom 3 on it with the 64mb video as well....

Get over to X1000forums.com and sign on and you will see a ton on information on this machine (same free setup as when you joined the excellent Cnet notebook forums).

make sure you submit the $100 rebate good from 2/1/04-9/1/04 for any custom Compaq or HP notebook not the $30 one posted for Compaq on the site .. see the forums for how to locate and print this PDF file from the main HPshopping screen (mail in rebates link).

I have an X1360US and I enjoy it but I would have gotten the faster hard drive, 1 stick memory (to add more in 2nd later cheaper), and 64mb dedicated video if I had discovered the forum and ordered custom sooner.

Enjoy ............

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 4, 2004 4:45 AM PDT

By the way, there is one other thing I forgot to mention. Your choice of the upgraded SXGA (versus XGA) is a good compromise between the extreme UXGA LCD resolution and the conventinal 1024x768 square screen or 1200x800 widescreen XGA resolution (on most 15" notebooks standard).

However, I became aware at X1000forums.com that they use 4 different manufacturers for the LCD's (and other companies likely do the same thing -- you don't know from one notebook to the other for certain who has made the LCD at first).

Hitachi LCD's have a lower response (refresh rate) so they can have some 'ghosting' compared to the great Samsung or LG LCD's used on the SXGA.

You could get a Hitachi in theory on any resolution but it seems they have not been sent out much in 2004 on XGA or UXGA.

However, if you look at the forum, very recent orders have again gotten LG or Samsung LCD's (there is 4th Chinese manufacturer that is also great).

So, go to the forum when you get your notebook read how to do the utility test to determine what LCD you have.

Again, nearly every manufacturer may have this issue but you can run the test to see what LCD you have.

Collapse -
by civic_tko / August 4, 2004 5:54 AM PDT

thank you KenSanramon!!!!!

you have been of great help. thanks for pointing out the $100 rebate as opposed to the $30... i've located it on hpshopping and am definately going to take advantage of it. also i appreciate the warning on the dvd burner and lcd display... when i get my notebook ill search through the forums to find out how to perform the utility test.

i'm glad i've subscribed to this forum... you've given me fast and extremely helpful responses

much appreciated:)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.