Laptops forum

General discussion

Opinions on a new notebook: Toshiba or HP

by drrick97 / September 30, 2005 3:47 AM PDT

After my dell inspiron 8200 died, I'm leary about getting another dell. I've been thinking about the Toshiba Qosmio f25 (found for $1700), Toshiba Satellite M45, or the HPdv4130.

Here are my needs: Microsoft word, powerpoint, itunes/music and watching DVDs. I occasionally bring the laptop to give presentations.
I don't have cable so I don't plan on using the multimedia center (but the qosmio seems to have more bang for the buck)

I'm concerned about fan noise and overheating (the problem of my dell) but I'm wondering which would suit my needs or if there are any other models out there you would recomend.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opinions on a new notebook: Toshiba or HP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opinions on a new notebook: Toshiba or HP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Was that a P4 based unit?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 3:57 AM PDT

Overheating seems to be common and Dell was not alone in seeing those burn laps and then burn out. Next time pick a laptop CPU like the Centrino or Turion.

Bob

Collapse -
yes it was...
by drrick97 / September 30, 2005 4:18 AM PDT

a P4. Any opinions on the notebooks I listed?

Thanks

Collapse -
The v2xxx with Turions are nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: yes it was...

The neighbor has the v2000 with a Centino and likes it. I have the r3000 with the AMD 64 and it's great too. Hundreds of Dells at the office, but we don't do full bore P4s since they could be a liability as someone burns their privates.

Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, I'm using a P4 right now...
by xtuser / October 1, 2005 4:16 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1955 with a 2.2G Pentium 4. It started overheating recently, so I opened up the heatsink assembly and cleaned it out. However, most laptops don't have a heatsink assembly panel. and even less people like to perform surgery on computers. Get a Centrino for sure, they are really quiet too! You can only hear them in a totally silent room.

In fact, get the HP. I saw a few Toshibas in a store, and they did not seem very sturdy.

Collapse -
please, not the HP . . .
by hoyer801 / October 2, 2005 1:30 AM PDT

I'm also looking to buy a notebook right now. Here's what I see of your choices -

Don't go with the HP. As I see it, this Celeron based machine is not even in the same class as the toshibas you mentioned. The qosmio has better features in general, although the satellite is more portable and has a slightly faster processor. However, for the type of applications you're looking at, I seriously doubt you'd notice any difference in processor speed. Even though you're not interested in a tv tuner now, i think that ounce for ounce, the qosmio is a better computer.

I'd recommend you to do what I plan to do: get the qosmio f25 and purchase a 12 cell battery. Other people in forums have been saying they get 5+ hours out of one of those toshiba 12 cell batteries on the qosmio f25.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
So True
by Fouad Bakht / October 2, 2005 2:01 AM PDT

I second this post. I have tried almost 4-5 different HP Business Notebooks and 2-3 Compaq Presarios. All I have to say is that HP has good support to offer for below average notebooks. Poor built quality in most of the cases and very less software to offer as compared to what IBM/Lenevo and TOSHIBA bundle with their products.

Collapse -
HP, another POV
by togus / October 3, 2005 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: So True

At my last employer we used HP desktops and laptops. They provided very good service under some brutal usage. The new Dv4000 with the X700 card costs a third the price of a top level Toshiba Q and has performance similar to an Acer Ferrari... I think it's a pretty good value, that's why I just bought one.

Collapse -
im using a toshiba Qosmio G25
by Qosmio / October 5, 2005 11:31 AM PDT

ive owned it for over 4 months with 0 proublems.runs fast/cool with the best screen.batt life is not so great though.a wall socket comes in handy.i think there coming out with a upgrade batt.
as far as HP----no never!! did that in the past and never going back.

Collapse -
any laptop would be good for ur needs
by nerdyboy1234 / October 5, 2005 1:00 PM PDT

the hp will certainly suffice but u can go for the m45 for better performance however the qosmios are expensive and with what you are using the laptop for u dont need it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?