PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Opinions about using generic ink cartridges and refillables

Hi guys, I have a new printer and don't want to ruin it. D4360/HP.
Is it ok to use non-OEM ink cartridges and/or refillables from services like Staples and Walgreens?

My last printer 3915 stopped responding, stopped printing and I think it was because of the refillables. What do you think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opinions about using generic ink cartridges and refillables
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opinions about using generic ink cartridges and refillables
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your choice...

In reply to: Opinions about using generic ink cartridges and refillables

You're going to do what you want, but I advice:

1) stick with OEM ink carts until the warranty period is over
2) don't buy simply the cheapest ink refills
3) buy from a reliable source(understand return policy)
4) have on-hand the ink cart(s) to continue
5) use a "cleaner cart" when persistent clogs appear, if available

That's about it. I offer that the warranty period if you use refills they can tell the difference and deny you should you want warranty work. It may not seem so but it does happen. Some ink refillers aren't that keen on using the better componets and provide less than satisfactory product. Some demanding printers like photo types tend to be very picky over time though the initial period seems OK, fails later. I've found basic "text usage" of printers seem more friendly to ink refills, but again it all depends on ink refillers.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Reman's are OK

In reply to: Opinions about using generic ink cartridges and refillables

If you use reman's from a place like IJR they are OK. You need to use ones that are remanufatured and not just simply refilled. Walgreens just uses a big needle and refils them, leaving all the crap inside. Those are problems waiting to happen. IJR dissasembles and cleans the casing then fills them with factory spec ink. That is the way to go.

Collapse -
Good, not only to you, but the rest of the world as well.

Recycled printer ink cartridges not only save you money but save the
earth as well. In my opinion using re-manufactured and compatible
cartridges are definitely a plus. Using re-manufactured and compatible
printer cartridges can help reduce as much as 500 tons of carbon
emissions per year. That would be the same as taking 100 tons of waste
from a landfill. THAT'S A BIG IMPACT! Some where around 360 million empty
cartridges are thrown away every year in the United States. Every year
this number increases by about 12%. Right now about 70% of ink
cartridges and 50% of toner cartridges that people are done with are
just thrown away. On top of chemicals from the cartridge leaking out
from the landfills to mother earth it takes the plastic in the
cartridges alone 400 to 1000 (In most cases closer to 1000) years to
decompose. So in conclusion I can't stress this enough, recycle and re-use.

Wink

Collapse -
Also

A US federal law, the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act protects your rights when using re-manufactured cartridges on your new printer. Basically your printer warranty cannot void from the use of re-manufactured cartridges, but of course you should do some research on this law yourself too.

Collapse -
Sadly.

In reply to: Also

Years ago a refurb laser toner cartridge failed and the maker of the printer voided the warranty and the refurb place would not pay for repairs either.

Granted this was in a country north of the USA, the law may protect you but what a hassle.
Bob

Collapse -
Ya

In reply to: Sadly.

But, it's the little things that count. If every one did a little bit to protect the planet it would make a big difference that's my point.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.