Laptops forum

General discussion

Opinions about a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO M 1420

by tosj / October 30, 2004 8:51 PM PDT

Hi

I have previusly ovned three desktop machines and two notebooks(in work). I intend to by a home notebook.
My company is offering me this machine:
---------------------
Fujitsu Siemens AMILO M 1420
mor info:
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/mobile/notebooks/amilo_m_wide.html

Datasheet:
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/Resources/28/5826254.pdf

My intended use is:

- Webbrowsing, mailing
- Burn CD, DVD
- Fotoediting
- Filmediting
No high demands on performance (games)

Important for me:
Silent and compact machine

I have searched the net for reviews but no luck.

Questions:
1. Opinions about the amilo M 1420 i general.
2. Reviews for the machine?
4. Owner comments for the amilo m 1420?

Hoping for a fast reply, since the deadline is on tuesday.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opinions about a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO M 1420
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opinions about a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO M 1420
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Opinions about a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO M 1420
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 1:53 AM PDT

I've always liked Fujitsu laptops, but not a single machine I've seen in the retail "pipe" is silent. Laptops tend to be a little quieter but never silent.

As to the rest of your specs, such a machine should be fine.

The only NEGATIVE I read is that the DVD recorder is only a DVD+R/W. For today, I am thinking a DVD recorder in a laptop isn't a great idea since it's only 2X from all models I've seen and many are not multi-format. I have an external USB 2.0 8X all format DVD recorder that I popped together with the USB 2.0 case and an 8X drive for less than 99 bucks. It may cost as much as 199 so figure that in if you start making more than a few DVDs.

The multi-format is important because some DVD players don't play DVD+R, but DVD-R and vice versa.

Bob

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 1, 2004 3:53 AM PST

Many of the Fujitsu notebooks you see at under $2000 have only shared/integratd video memory but this model has the ATI 9700 video card with 128mb dedicated video. You can't get much better than this and only a few other notebooks have it (like Dell 8600, Acer 2000 series if you can find one).

The price on this, however, must be over $2,000 for those specifications (perhaps even close to $2500) but it does have everything you need -- 15.4" widescreen, Pentium M processer, etc.

Fujitsu notebooks seem to be made mostly in Japan which is a plus but I don't know what the new Siemans combination means.

They do sell Fujitsu notebooks retail in Fry's Electronics in the west but I don't recall seeing this model.

As Bob says, the DVD+ burner means you can't play the DVD's in most consumer DVD players (you can in many Sonys) - Toshiba, Panasonic, etc play only DVD- -- thus, as Bob says, many people just get a CD-RW/DVD ROM drive for $200 less and get an external DVD burner for less or use their desktops.

If you are using it to burn mostly data though (as opposed to burning video DVD's to share with people) then DVD+ is fine.

Collapse -
Thanks for the replyes!!
by tosj / November 2, 2004 12:06 AM PST

This vas my first posting in a cnet newsgroup, and i?m grateful for the competent replyes.

/Torbjorn (tosj)
Sweden

Collapse -
by Philip / November 25, 2004 11:56 PM PST

FujitsuSiemens has good specifications but the product quality is really poor. We have purchased 3 products (also Amilo) and all of them were broken within a year. And even more poor is the service. They always charged us for services that should have been covered with the warranty. Once they even charged us for the boxes they transported the products in.
In one issue we are going to sue the company now.

My plan for the future: No FujitsuSiemens Products in my company - the specifications may be good but the anger you have later on with a not running engine or broken components can't compensate this at all. We calculated that our own effort with only those products like correspondence and bringing in etc. was much higher than the purchase prices we paid. And none of our other hardware ever failed. The oldest notebook in my company is a 5,5 years old Acer and it still runs like on the first day.
My advice: Don't choose a FujitsuSiemens - you can calculate the double price of the sales price for all the problems you will get, the anger not included.

Regards
Philip

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.