Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Opinion Wanted... MBAM w/Prot. Module v/s Avira

by tobeach / June 22, 2011 3:31 PM PDT

With Avira AntiVir having gone over to the dark side and, in fact, disabled
its current real time protection (as well as removing my No Script from FF
at the same time Shocked ) at last update, I'm wondering IF MBAMs protection module (which is being offered free for 30 day trial) would constitute
a suitable protection option in place of any other A/V??

Given this is a slow laptop (main reason for Avira was it's lightness) I believe Avast to be too cumbersome and AVG is out of the question in my eyes, leaving likely Clam for Windows as other FREE for Home use option.
I haven't found many testings of Clam A/V so don't know how well they rate.
Will continue w/ SAS and MBAM in any case.

I would prefer NOT to be forced into a cloud required program (an option to NOT join cloud would be ok) .Ideas??? Thanks, Sandy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opinion Wanted... MBAM w/Prot. Module v/s Avira
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opinion Wanted... MBAM w/Prot. Module v/s Avira
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
MBAM is NOT a replacement for
by roddy32 / June 23, 2011 1:13 AM PDT

an antivirus. I have avast on an old laptop as well as my old desktop and see no slowdowns at all. Perhaps you see a slow down because of your ancient XPSP1 system? It will always amaze me that has not gotten you in trouble yet. You have more holes in that system than swiss cheese. IMO, if you upgraded to SP3 and put avast on it you would notice a big improvement and you would certanily be sfaer than you are now.

As an added note. ClamAV for Windows, back when I tried it a couple of years ago did not include resident protection. Whether that has changed or not, I don't know but that also comes with ask.com toolbar now which puts it in the same dark side category as avira.

Collapse -
Thanks For Reply, Roddy32
by tobeach / June 23, 2011 3:15 PM PDT

Actually, this isn't for my antique SP1 but rather for my landlady's XP Home SP2 ( i failed to include that...my bad!!)

Since posting, I checked out Clam A/V for windows and discovered it requires SP3 and mandatory cloud interface so that's out of the running.

I just didn't know whether MBAM's protection module covered all or just real time for what it searches for on demand.Thanks for that info! Sandy

P.S. My SP1 seems happy enough w/ the Vipre from Sunbelt and yes it is amazing how nobody wants to infect it!! S

Collapse -
Answer
Why A Problem With Avira?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 23, 2011 1:50 AM PDT

I've got it running on a number of machines and I'm seeing no issues. Of course, all my computers are up to date regarding service packs and such.. Still, I'm not sure what you're issues with Avira are.

And as Roddy said, although there is some cross-over, Malwarebytes is NOT an antivirus program. You'll need a dedicated AV to detect various types of viruses and worms that aren't found by MBAM.

Just curious.

Grif

Collapse -
Nice to Hear from you, Grif!!
by tobeach / June 23, 2011 3:39 PM PDT

As described above, I was spared the following horrors because (I think) that on SP2, Avira has to convince you to install the latest version so they can hit you with Unibues' games.

Not only are they including (checked by default) the ask toolbar and changing your search engine choice to Ask but are using scareware tactics (just like fake A/Vs) but for a reg cleaner/fixer/optimizer.

This is what I have A/Vs on machine to AVOID! Not to be used under the guise of trusted permissions for my security protection. Installer Hall of Shame territory (despite others doing the same). Very SAD since I felt it to be a very good A/V. Even Avira paid versions are doing this!

In my case after first reboot post update, they not only disabled all real time protection (preventing it being turned back on) but to my shock, my NoScript on that machine was un-installed as well. Imagine my surprise when I went to a site and instantly got hit with 25 running scripts on my FF! Cute! Had I been less knowledgeable, I surely would have been in trouble very soon! Beyond the pale in my books!

Avira Criticized for Recommending Controversial Product :
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Avira-Criticized-for-Recommending-Controversial-Product-205954.shtml

Avira AntiVir Adds Ask Toolbar and Scareware PopUp:
http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2011/06/avira-antivir-adds-ask-toolbar-and.html

Always a pleasure to hear from you, Grif!! Sandy Wink

Collapse -
No Ask Toolbar, Uniblue Games, Or Popups Here..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 24, 2011 10:11 AM PDT

I simply perform a customized install, UNCHECK any boxes to install extra items, then I disable all popups from within the program.. I've installed Avira free a couple of times in the last couple of weeks and they're all working fine.. No adverts at all.

But yes, it does warning you of certain conflicting security software such as Windows Defender. Since I don't run WD here, I simply disable it.. Other programs like Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, Spybot, and a few others I don't have installed on this machine seem to coexist just fine.

Each to his own.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.