Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Operation Timed Out

by carndt / November 26, 2004 2:25 AM PST

What causes me to get this message "operation timed out when attempting to contact" web sites, such netscape.com, cnn.com and many others. These sites will not download.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Operation Timed Out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Operation Timed Out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Operation Timed Out
by Cetin Denislam / November 27, 2004 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Operation Timed Out

You forgot to tell that your browser is Mozilla/Firefox. That means that there is a barrier between your PC and the target site. The causes could be either from your PC or external (ISP, routers in the paths, target server down, etc.). In order to identify the culprit try the following things:

1. Try to open them with Internet Explorer

2. Search for Hosts file under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder.

Open it with Notepad and see if there are entries for those sites.

3. Use ping (for default gateway and dns) and tracert (for the final site).under command prompt.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by carndt / November 27, 2004 1:11 PM PST

Thanks for your reply. I use Netscape 7.2 browser and Netscape.com as my home page. I get the timed out message on Netscape.com; however, other features of Navigator works fine, such as mail, bookmarks, etc.
Everything was working fine until about 4 weeks ago. Am still perplexed and will not give up. The search path that you suggested --could not find the file you mentioned.
Not only am I not able to load several web sites, some that I get does not fill out completely, mostly only the text.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 6:27 PM PST

Do you use any anti-spyware programs such as Spybot Search & Destroy and/or Spywareblaster?

If so, check the settings in those for browser pages and see if they are blocking any pages.

Mark

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / November 28, 2004 3:29 AM PST

The idea from Mark?s message is that you could have additional programs that might block accessing certain sites. Also, some of these applications might block images. The following Secrets of Embroidery reveals some techniques in order to see their website while using some Antivirus/Firewall programs.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by carndt / December 2, 2004 2:53 PM PST

I wish to let Cetin and Mark know that I appear to have my "timed out" problem solved.
Called tech support at Verizon and they made some changes to my connection settings from their end and talked me thru changes on my end. So far can get all sites that were timing out.
I really appreciate your suggestions and now hooked on checking the forum daily. Maybe I can learn from problems other people have.

Collapse -
Besides Mark you are welcome ... [NT]
by Cetin Denislam / December 2, 2004 10:53 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!