Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

operating system on slave drive?

by maref / November 22, 2005 1:04 AM PST

I want to add a slave hard drive to my xp computer. do I need to install XP on to the hard drive after it has been reformated?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: operating system on slave drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: operating system on slave drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No OS needed
by Steven Haninger / November 22, 2005 1:44 AM PST

Unless you want the slave to contain another OS so you can boot to it for certain purposes, all that's needed is to format it. With XP, this is done through the disk management too in the Control Panel under Administrative Tools/Computer Management. You will need to install the slave drive first, of course. Then navigate to the disk management tool and right click on the disk which will show as unpartitioned. You will need to create at least one partition and format it. The drive will now show up in Explorer and you can use it as you wish to store data. You may install some programs on it but it's usually best to run these from the primary drive and use the slave for storage.

Collapse -
I found out that
by TONI H / November 22, 2005 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: No OS needed

the choice after reaching the Disk Management for the drive is first to Activate the drive, then you can format it. I'm asusming that Activating the drive actually 'creates' the partition, but I couldn't find anything about how to create more than one partition for a slave drive....any idea how to do that if somebody desires more than one?

TONI

Collapse -
you can always use Fdisk
by jonah jones / November 22, 2005 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: I found out that

or (if you're very careful) diskpart

i read somewhere that there is also an 'fdisk for ntfs' out there "somewhere"

Collapse -
Here's how it should look
by Steven Haninger / November 22, 2005 3:46 AM PST

If the drive is all free space, it should show as "unallocated". A right click will have an option to partition the drive. This brings up the "wizard". From here you can select whether it's a primary or extended partition. Usually you will select primary. The next screen allow you to select the partition size. If your selection is less than the entire drive capacity, the remainder is free space and you can repeat the partition process with these. Most likely you would select these as extended partitions. I believe there is a limit to partition #. This might only pertain to primary partitions but I do not know. Once the partitions are created you do have to format these and set them active. This is a background process and you can continue your other work or play time.:)

Collapse -
All you could want to know about using ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 22, 2005 4:40 AM PST

the Disk Administrator can be found at this link. The menu on the left of the page should be used.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_diskconcepts_02a.mspx

You can also use the command line tool DiskPart (here is a link to using it properly (with all command syntax and parameters - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds.mspx )

Should you (or anyone else) want to partition and make use of FAT 32 for any strange reason Win 98 or Win ME latest versions of FDISK will work also - they allow creation of larger than 32GB FAT32 partitions which XP is natively limited to.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.