General discussion

Operating System not found; won't boot from CD

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS790. About a year ago the hard drive crashed beyond repair. I just bought a new hard drive and installed it without a problem. The computer now starts and displays the "Operating system not found" message. I've tried pressing <esc>,<f2> to enter the BIOS and booting from the Optical Drive but the system simply goes back to the "Operating System not found" message.

In the BIOS there are the options to boot via Optical Drive, Floppy Disk Drive (which I don't have), Hard Disk Drive and Network.

Can anyone please advise me on what to do now?
Thanks,
shadley02

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Operating System not found; won't boot from CD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Operating System not found; won't boot from CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Add a detail or more information.

I can't tell what CD you tried to boot from. Also, it is well known that after just a few years that the CD drives tend to lose their capability to boot. To fix that is easy, you replace the failed CD drive.
Bob

- Collapse -
boot CD and drive

I used the restore CD that I made prior to the hard drive's crash. Is there any way that I could use the Network option to boot the system and install an operating system?

- Collapse -
Yes but usually too hard for most.

The network boot is so involved that (excuse the words here) is if you ask, you won't be doing this. It is that involved!

Try this. DUPLICATE your boot CD and try the duplicate.
Bob

- Collapse -
Duplicate

Well, unfortunately, the duplication of the boot CD didn't work so I'm in the process of acquiring some Reinstallation DVDs though I have no way of knowing if the CD/DVD drive is still operational. It lights up and I can here it spinning into action when a disc is inserted though.

- Collapse -
How I test those drives.

I use any bootable media. I like the Microsoft issued OS CDs best.

CD/DVD drives do lose their boot capability with age so if the drive is near 2 years old or older I swap in a drive fast as time on the bench costs more than a drive.
Bob

- Collapse -
Just for curiosity's purposes.

Is your optical drive, a DVD Rewriter one or, a mere CD-ROM one?

Because, other than Win.XP(2001/2002 editions), you need a DVD rewriter to make this system restore disk. Ordinary CDs can not have enough space on them for a proper boot, setup configuration of the machine for prepping it to start the official installation of the said Operating System.

- Collapse -
copying and curiosity

The optical drive is a DVD Rewriter...I used it all through graduate school creating DVD videos for various projections and installations. I haven't had a chance yet to copy my existing boot disc to see if that works though.

CNET Forums

Forum Info