Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"Operating system not found"

by Wayne Lockwood / April 2, 2007 3:21 AM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 that froze up. After turning it off the following message came up: "Operating system not found"

In my atempt to boot from D: , I used a system disk to reinstall the system that came with the computer new. A hardware diagnostics test came up & suggested a fan test failure. After a help website, new thermal compound, a cleaning of the fan I have hopefully overcome hump #1.

C:\> DIR
1 FILE 93,880
0 DIRS 33,439,744

SCANDISK: "no problems"

33,538,000 bytes total disk space
98,304 bytes in 1 user file
33,439,744 bytes available on disk

16,384 bytes in each alllocation unit
2,047 total allocationn unit on disk
2,041 available allocation units on disk

655,360 total bytes memory
547,632 bytes free

** I did try to copy the i386 off a reinstall disk; however, ran out of disk space & could not acces a dir to remove any files.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated--THANKS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Operating system not found"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Operating system not found"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure I understand
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 6:33 AM PDT

If the red message above each posting page is missing please let us know so we can tell the techs.

I'm not sure I understand here. You say you were attempting to boot from D? What is your system configuration?

You fixed the fan, cleaned out all the dust. What happened then when you tried to reinstall the XP? What error messages did you see?

Using the XP CD, did you try and re-format and re-install of the whole system?

Collapse -
The reason the operating system is missing is
by YankeesNYwins / April 2, 2007 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure I understand

because it is not visible. Make a Partition Magic Boot Magic rescue floppy and boot from it and it will show the operating system as hidden. Select it and boot and Windows XP will boot up for you.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?