General discussion

Opera Mini 5.0 for iPhone

I have been using this super fast browser on my iphone for the last 24 hours (downloaded it within seconds after it appeared in US itunes!) and everything seems to be working perfectly fine except viewing video contents from sites like cnet.com, youtube.com etc I checked the reviews in cnet.com, engadget.com and other places and no one talked anything specific to this issue. Is it something that i am facing alone or is it a general problem? . Is there a bug in the software or do i need to set up something? I don't see any specific instruction for viewing videos through this browser. I checked the Help section but there is nothing related to videos. Can someone help me?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Opera Mini 5.0 for iPhone
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Opera Mini 5.0 for iPhone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Many sites require Flash...

The iPhone OS does not, and will not, support Flash, due to Apple's prohibition against such technology ever being available to iPhone/iPad users. Since Flash is required for video and other multimedia content on many websites, that content is simply not available to iPhone/iPad users.

Now, Cnet, Youtube, and others are experimenting with HTM5 video support, an alternative to Flash, but the standard is not yet finalized and Opera does not support the implementation used by Google and CBS. Thus, you'll have to use Safari for such websites and hope the websites offer non-Flash versions of their content.

Sorry.
John

P.S. If you consider this an impediment against your usage of your iPhone, feel free to forward your complaints to Apple, expressing your desire for access to web content they have deemed inappropriate for your viewing.

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thank you for the reply. I have no issues in accessing videos (not flash based) using Atomic Web Browser and also using the native safari browser. However, I am unable to see non-flash video contents using opera mini. Is there any website with videos that you were able to access using opera? I tried several non-flash websites but I am unable to view videos. Looks like viewing videos is an issue with Opera Mini. Appreciate your follow-up on this. Thanks once again

- Collapse -
It's tricky...

As it stands, Opera and Mozilla are backing one video compression format (Theora) due to it's free, open nature while Google, Apple, and Microsoft back another (h.264) due to its superior quality. iPhone OS browsers based on Webkit, including Mobile Safari, will support YouTube and various other sites, but will continue to fail on sites that rely on Flash, Silverlight, etc. while browsers such as Opera, which some tests show is significantly faster, will fail to play nearly any video content. Smartphones running Android, WindowsMobile, etc. shine with their support of both third-party plug-ins and browsers that support HTML5, but until all of the OS and browser manufacturers agree on a set of standards, and web developers commit their support as well, websites will not always be accessible to all users.

John

CNET Forums

Forum Info