Question

Opera crashing constantly, also "MIRAR" issue

Don't know if this is all related but I got a few emails from friends that they hadn't sent (had dodgy attachments, I opened one by total mistake) found I had "Mirar" on my pc. Opera started crashing constantly. Tried removing Mirar manually, tried to uninstall it with no luck. Ran scans, registry cleaners galore. Then found I could not enable Windows Defender either.I uninstalled Opera and reinstalled (still crashes) I even tried Chrome which also crashed. Windows IE does not crash by the way. I use Vista. I have done all updates for everything. Any ideas ??

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Opera crashing constantly, also "MIRAR" issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Opera crashing constantly, also "MIRAR" issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Some Things To Try..

Kay..

What stands out (the most) in your post is, "ran registry cleaners galore". We find registry cleaners tend to create more problems, than they solve. With hopes the registry cleaners "did no harm", try the below.

Using Internet Explorer, download the below tools. If you're prevented from doing so, you will need to use another computer and transfer them to yours. (Using a CD/DVD or Flash Drive)

Download and run the "Rkill" tool. You will only need to launch one of files, in order for Rkill to work. (Right-click and "Run as Administrator") If you have no success running Rkill.exe, try the next. When Rkill runs you will see a command prompt window similar to this. When one DOES work (immediately) run a Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. (See below) Do NOT reboot after running Rkill.

Rkill.exe
Rkill.com
Rkill.scr
Rkill.pif

Rkill's purpose is to terminate offending / malicious processes. A more detailed explanation of what Rkill "does and doesn't do", can be found at the bottom of the Rkill download page.

You're also going to scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. The direct links for the installer and manual updater are listed below. To avoid any problems, rename the installer, prior to transferring it to your computer. Change it from mbam-setup.exe to kevin.exe. Don't forget to update, after the transfer.

Malwarebytes' Installer
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Manual Update link
http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

I would also recommend scanning with SUPERAntiSpyware. SUPERAntiSpyware FREE Edition can be downloaded from here.

If you run into any problems along the way, please post back and let us know ..
Carol

- Collapse -
Forgot to include..

Which security programs do you have running in "real-time"? And which one detected Mirar?

CNET Forums