Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Opera 7.50 is out

by David Evans / May 12, 2004 10:49 AM PDT

The ads on the free download are lots less noticeable now. Here's a screenshot of the Linux version.

DE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opera 7.50 is out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opera 7.50 is out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It looks good David - does it have pop up killing built in? NT
by SteveGargini / May 12, 2004 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Opera 7.50 is out

NT

Collapse -
Re:It looks good David - does it have pop up killing built in? NT

Yes it does. I haven't explored everything but I do know that it takes care of popups.

DE

Collapse -
I still have Opera 7.10 on my system, but switched to Mozilla as default

I am currently running Mozilla 1.7b and really love it. Haven't fired up Opera in quite a while now - will have to see what they have improved.

Ruth

Collapse -
Thanks David - sounds even better NT

nt

Collapse -
Re:Re:It looks good David - does it have pop up killing built in? NT

whats the difference in the paid versus free version?

Collapse -
Re:It looks good David - does it have pop up killing built in? NT

Far as I know, the only difference is that the free version has ads at the top. But the ads take up less space and are less obtrusive in 7.50 than in previous releases. I'm using the free version.

DE

Collapse -
Re:Opera 7.50 is out
by John Robie / May 13, 2004 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Opera 7.50 is out

Thanks for the tip. Was waiting for Opera 7.50 to get out of "BETA", it had been there for quite a while. I don't download any Beta stuff...tends to fowl up the PC doing research for the originators. I downloaded/installed the 7.50 version this AM on my WinXP computer.

On my Win98se desktop PC I had Opera 6. (something) along with IE5.5, and the new MyIE2 that I installed around April 21. Thought MyIE2 would speed up the slowness of the CNet forums (using dial-up) over IE. It did, but still not that much. On May 5, I went ahead and installed Opera vs 7.23 (non-Beta) hoping it would improve the slowness. It did much better than IE 5.5 and MyIE2. Ran some 'resource' test with the 3 browsers and discovered that the new MyIE2 was a hog on resources with the Win98se PC so deleted it.

So, now am using on my WinXP desktop PC, IE6.0, MyIE2, and Opera 7.50. The Opera (7.23 & 7.50)is the fastest bringing up forum threads in CNet, but there is still a problem in slowness, and for IE users (which the majority of the world uses) the slowness in the forums is a pain.

BTW, I found out how to hide that left column in Opera 7.50 which was bothering the 'wrap'... so now have a wider view on the screen.

Yep, so far I like the Opera 7.50 and am using it.

Collapse -
Re:Opera 7.50 is out
by David Evans / May 14, 2004 5:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Opera 7.50 is out

I haven't tried to hide that left column. I never use it but I'm seeing it at 1280 x 1024 or something like that so it's never bothered me. How do you get rid of it? Left-click on it, choose "customize toolbars" then "off?"

DE

Collapse -
Re: The left column...
by John Robie / May 15, 2004 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Opera 7.50 is out

Getting rid of that left column to avoid 'wrap' and expand width:

In the far left of your screen, in the middle there is a small faint blue 'arrowhead' point. Click on it with your arrow cursor to toggle the column on/off. You may have to adjust your monitor to find as it is in the extreme far left of the screen around midway.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.