Question

Opening wps files

I have just bought an Acer Iconia A200 tablet. In my profession I need to be able to carry a large number of files created in Microsoft Works 9 word processor.

But I can't get the files to open when I transfer them from my PC to the tablet. I get a message that there are no supported files.

I connect the tablet to my PC with a USB cable, open the tablet and the files on my PC and clip and paste the files to downloads on the tablet.

How can I get the files to open on the tablet.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Opening wps files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Opening wps files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Did you try saving them as DOC files?
- Collapse -
Doc files

Well, I thought that that is what Works 9 word processor files were saved as.

Evidently they are not, so how would I save them as such. Thanks.

- Collapse -
I do not own Works 9

But if it's like any other app, you use the File, Save As and look for options there.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: wps files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940005 shows that Works 9 can save documents in the following formats:
Works-documents (*.wps)
Works-templates (*.wpt)
Rich Text Format (*.rtf)
Text file (*.txt, *.csv)
HTML-Document (*.htm, * .html, *.htx)
Word 2.x for Windows
Word 2007-Document (*.docx)
Word 6.0/95 (* .doc, * .dot)
Word 97-2002 (* .doc)
Word 97-2002 & 6.0/95 - RTF (* .doc)
Word 97-2003-Document (* .doc)
so you need an Android app that can open at least one of these formats.

The very first google hit for ANDROID WORD PROCESSOR is http://www.androidwordprocessor.com/
That shows me a link to Kingsoft Office which says it not only reads .doc files, but can edit them also.
Since you only need to carry and open them, that should be sufficient.

Kees
- Collapse -
Docs

Thanks Kees for the response, but I tried to save the wps files as Microsoft 97-2003 and received the same "no supported files found" message.

This really has me stumped. I think I will just put the tablet back in the box it came in and save it for Christmas, my son wants one.

Thanks all.

- Collapse -
That message is one I get

If I tried to open rather than save as.

CNET Forums