Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

opening powerpoint web links in the powerpoint program

by seekaye / August 30, 2007 7:12 PM PDT

when i opened a powerpoint link from a web page it opened in explorer

i used this solution i found to open the file in powerpoint rather than the explorer add in
-------
1. Open My Computer.
2. On the Tools menu (or the View menu), click Folder Options (or click Options).
3. Click the File Types tab.
4. In the Registered file types list, click the specific Office document type (for example, Microsoft Excel Worksheet), and then click Advanced (or click Edit).
5. In the Edit File Type dialog box, click to clear the Browse in same window check box (or click to clear the Open Web documents in place check box).
6. Click OK.
---------

my problem is that now when i click on a ppt link it jumps straight into slide 1 then i have to click through the ppt and when it finishes it shuts immediately

what i want to happen is have the powerpoint program open with the linked file ready to edit, as if i had opened the file from my PC

any help appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: opening powerpoint web links in the powerpoint program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: opening powerpoint web links in the powerpoint program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm confused.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2007 6:22 AM PDT

It's probably me, but I am not sure what you need.

You talk about a web site page having a link to a PowerPoint presentation. Is that right? Only I have never seen one. Can you give us a web site link to one?

Then you say that when you click on a link to a PowerPoint presentation it opens PowerPoint and starts at slide 1. Is that not what it is intended to do?

I've just done some research, (ohh, ok, I Googled ppt and pps), and I see there is a difference between the two, eg;

PPT- By default, PPT files open in edit mode within PowerPoint allowing you to use all the menus and commands.

PPS- By default, PPS files open in slideshow (play) mode and you see no PowerPoint interface. When the presentation finishes or you manually exit using tthe ESC key, PowerPoint also quits.

However the small article I read, (http://www.indezine.com/notes/2004/08/ppt-vs-pps.html ), said that file extensions can be interchanged and they would still work perfectly. I am not sure why a web site would contain a link for a PPT file that can be edited. Is that normal?

Try this. Can you right click the PPT file link in the web site and select Save as, or Save file as? That way you can download it to your Desktop and then drag it into your PP editor window, or just open PP and goto File > Open and navigate to where you saved it.

It seems to me that, because the file is held on a server somewhere, you can't edit it until you download a copy onto your computer. It's like watching videos in a browser page. You can't edit the video from the web site, you would have to download it and edit the copy.

Or perhaps things are different with PPT files?

Mark

Collapse -
ppt problem
by seekaye / August 31, 2007 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused.

when i say website thats a bit misleading

i have lots of excel, word and ppt documents on my hard drive which i copy for my colleagues to use. they copy them to their hard drive

the documents are indexed through a word document using hyperlinks. i then save this as html so the index opens in explorer as if it was a web page

now when i click on a word link word opens and the document is loaded
same for excel

when i click on a ppt link it shoots straight into presnetation mode with slide 1. when i click through the show the ppt then disappears. i never actually see the powerpoint programme itself which is what i want

to simulate what i mean

carry out the procedure in my original post so that all docs, ppts, excel open in their own prog rather than explorer

open a new word doc

put in a hyperlink to a word doc on your hard drive
put in a hyperlink to a ppt doc on your hard drive
save the document as html
close word
click on the doc you just created it opens in explorer
click on the word link
the word programme runs with the doc loaded
click on the ppt link
it shoots straight to the slide and shuts when the slideshow is finished. i want the presntation loaded up in powerpoint, similar to what happens in word

this may seem a small problem but its doing my head in!

hope that makes things clearer (!)

all my slideshows have the extension .ppt as you suggested

thanks

Collapse -
I see what you mean.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2007 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: ppt problem

And no, it's not a small problem if it is something you need and can't find a solution to.

Question. What happens in the Word document you use as a template for the HTML when you click a ppt link? What I mean is, if you are in the index as a word.doc document and not as an html file, does the PP editor open when you click a ppt link, or does the slideshow open?

I'm struggling here because I don't use PowerPoint myself and only have the PP reader on my system, so I can't do any checking of my own. Hopefully others here with the knowledge may come up with some ideas.

When you edited the File Types association for PPT does PPT have a &Open option? If so, what is the option, is it set to use; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint\ppt.exe "%1" ?

I have a nasty feeling DDE may come into this, but hopefully not. That is also beyond my knowledge.

Mark

Collapse -
opening ppt link whilst in word
by seekaye / August 31, 2007 5:06 PM PDT
In reply to: I see what you mean.

in answer to your question if you open a ppt link whilst still in word powerpoint does open. however it still kicks straight into the slideshow but with a small menu bar and tool bar at the top. you then have to go to edit menu -> edit slides to get to "tradional" powerpoint setup. which is all a bit strange.

i don't even know what DDE is!

the only options i get when i edit file types are on the advanced tab
i have a list of actions new, open, print, printto and show.
i'm not sure what these are for as if i set any of these as default it doesnt seem to do anything!

Collapse -
solved!
by seekaye / August 31, 2007 5:23 PM PDT
In reply to: I see what you mean.

the &open option was set to the path you suggested. your post inspired me to google "edit file type ppt"

and google is my friend

i had to change a setting in the registry
HKLM\Software\Classes\PowerPoint.Show.8 browserflags to "a"
and it all behaves how i want

thanks for your help

article:
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00189.htm

Collapse -
Wow! That's impressive.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2007 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: solved!

I am very impressed how you solved that. This was beginning to be one of those inscrutable problems where there would be some obscure solution that could take months to track down.

Very Good Job.

Google is indeed a friend to us all, Happy

I do see a potential problem though. The article you gave says that this is a "per user" setting, meaning that whoever downloads the ppt file may have to change their own settings on their computer. If that involves a registry change will that cause a problem?

If so, a way round it is to create a txt file, (Notepad file), type in the registry changes, and save the file with a .reg extension, eg, ppt.reg . Then add that as a download option with instructions how to use it to amend the registry if need be. Again, this is beyond my knowledge I'm afraid. Also, the usual dire warnings about tampering with the registry apply. The world could end if it is done incorrectly, Devil

I did search Microsoft's Knowledge Base but failed miserably. WIth the KB articles you need to know the words to use in search and I never thought of "mode"!

But anyway, really good work and I am pleased you solved it.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.