Computer Help forum

General discussion

Opening html files in Front Page

by Vince.Rosati / September 8, 2006 7:01 AM PDT

A few weeks ago, I posted a question about why html files opened in Word rather than Front Page (which was used to generate them). The suggested answer was to make sure that folders and file types were correctly associated. I went to Control Panel, Folders Options, File Types, and made sure that html and htm files would be opened by Front Page.

If I select a file from a list in Windows Explorer, the files do, in fact, open in Front Page.

However, if I am using Front Page and want to open a htm or html file, using: File, Open, and selecting, Word opens and the selected file is loaded into it!

A subterfuge that works is: open Front Page, new file. Insert the desired file, then save as xxx.html. One must be careful, because the default name for Front Page New Files is index.html. (Ah, the havoc that could cause!)

All this started when Office 2003 Pro was loaded.

Gateway GT512, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB C:\, Windows XP Media Center, Office 2003, Front Page 2003.

Help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Vince Rosati

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opening html files in Front Page
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opening html files in Front Page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Default HTML editor
by Darton Fury / September 8, 2006 8:50 AM PDT

Vince, you might try setting Front Page as your default HTML editor by clicking start, control panel, network and Internet connections, Internet options, Programs tab, and then selecting from the HTML Editor dropdown list.

Collapse -
Default HTML Editor
by Vince.Rosati / September 8, 2006 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Default HTML editor

DF,

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the Programs tab under Internet Options, and Front Page was already set as the HTML editor.

So, I'm still at the same place.

Regards,

Vince

Collapse -
Vince, although you...
by Edward ODaniel / September 9, 2006 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Default HTML Editor

"I went to Control Panel, Folders Options, File Types, and made sure that html and htm files would be opened by Front Page."

You might want to relook at what happens there.

Under the HTML Document file type you should note that there are several actions (New, Print, Edit with ..., open, Open with ..., Print to, and possibly others (I also have strip associated with an app that strips tags).

You really want the open associated with your browser. Edit should be associated with whatever you use to edit an html file (I still like Notepad), and Open With ... is where you indicate Frontpage. Now, when you right click a file with an htm or html extension you will have "Open with Frontpage" in the context menu AND after opening Frontpage you should now have no problem using the File | Open dialog.

Collapse -
HTML Default editor
by Vince.Rosati / September 9, 2006 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Vince, although you...

Ed, Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm making some headway.

At first, I did not see the "Advanced" tab, just "Restore." I also noticed that the program to open HTM and HTML files was Firefox. (I never asked Firefox to be my default viewer.) Anyway, after Restore, I did see the Advanced tab.

When I opened it, a dialog box opened: "Edit File Type," and under it "Edit, Print, and Open." I chose Edit.

ANother box opened that said Editing File Type, in dialog spaces it showed: Action "&edit," and under that, "App to perform action: "C:\Prog Files\MS Office\Office 11\msohtmed.exe"%1.

I wanted to change that to MS Front Page, but I don't know how.

I think I'm in too deep!

I think msohtmed is Microsoft HTM Editor, but I haven't a clue what that means.

By the way, Firefox is gone, but the trouble remains, so no connection I guess.

Vince

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?