Computer Help forum

General discussion

Opening/Closing Applications Faster?

by satish_997 / April 25, 2008 5:08 AM PDT

Microsoft Word is taking almost 30 seconds to start after I open it. I would really like to speed up this process, and other applications? Does anyone have any suggestions. Here's a list of what I've tried so far:

Complete scan with McAfee, Spybot, and Avast

Stopped a lot of startup programs and services

Checked for errors and defraged hard drive

Made sure prefetch is enabled (3) in registry

Added " /prefetch:10 " to the target of Word shortcut

It's still loading super slow. Does anyone else have any tips to open AND close applications faster?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opening/Closing Applications Faster?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opening/Closing Applications Faster?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two things
by Jimmy Greystone / April 25, 2008 6:52 AM PDT

Two things come to mind.

First, you neglect to mention how much RAM you have, and what OS... But for XP, 512MB-1GB is what you want, Vista is 2-4GB, preferably dual channel. Windows 2000 is about the same as XP, and Win98/Me can probably get by with just 512MB.

Second, get rid of McAfee VirusScan. Never before have I seen a single program slow a computer down so much that isn't some kind of virus or malware. It is inexcusably bad in that regard, or at least it was the last time I used it about a year or two ago. While it's possible it's improved since then, I highly doubt it. By my estimations, it saps anywhere from 25-33% off the top of your overall system performance, and that's just the resident scanner. Try replacing it with something like AVG Free or Avast.

Other than that, you'll need to provide some more specifics about your system. Some of the things in the red text that's above every new post you make, which reads as follows:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Collapse -
2gb ram XP
by satish_997 / April 25, 2008 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things

ok

But does AVG cover everything as well as or better than McAfee?

Collapse -
Depends
by Jimmy Greystone / April 25, 2008 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: 2gb ram XP

It depends on if you have one of those "security suites" whether or not AVG Free will "cover" things just as well. When it comes to being a virus scanner, AVG Free is every bit as good as McAfee. Better if you take into account how it has maybe a 5% impact on overall system performance. You unfortunately can't avoid SOME performance hit, but McAfee is completely outrageous.

Of course you could just cobble together your own security suite from freely available tools. And aside from a virus scanner and firewall, there's really not much more you need if you avoid programs known to be problematic like Internet Explorer.

If your 1.66GHz CPU happens to be a Pentium 4, that's also going to be a big performance hit, but there's probably not much you can do about it short of replacing big chunks of your computer. Of course, again, ditching McAfee for something else will certainly improve things.

Collapse -
1.66ghz cpu
by satish_997 / April 25, 2008 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things

slooooow

Collapse -
The problem is more then likely in the registry.
by Dango517 / April 25, 2008 2:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
CCleaner
by satish_997 / April 25, 2008 2:18 PM PDT

I tried CCleaner to clean the registry.

Collapse -
Slow operation
by Alain Martel1 / April 26, 2008 8:47 AM PDT

First thing to do: Disable any real-time scanning!
With real-time scanning, your AV is constantly scanning each and every potentialy executable files as they are accessed. This dramaticaly slow down the starting of any application, including the OS startup.
You have 2 AVs, they can compete with each other, resulting in still more slowdown.

More things you can do: see if you can disable any prehemptive loading of plugins and add-ons. Remove any that you never or rarely use. They take some time to load.

Does the programm have a splash screen? If it's separate image file, rename, move or delete it. You save the time it takes to load that image, and you also save the memory used to load it. Several programms have some switch to disable the splash from been displayed.

More advanced:
Install a new hard drive, partition and format it, and install your most used applications in the first partition and save the data on the second partition. Files situated on the outside of a drive are accessed more rapidly as there are more clusters per track in that area. Another advantage: this will reduce the clutter on the Windows partition. It will also save LOTS of trouble if you need to reformat and reinstall Windows: all your documents will be safe on another drive, meaning almost no need to copy your files to CD/DVD and restoring after the reinstall.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?