Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Opening another workbook when one opens

Hi there,

I was thinking if it was possible to prompt the user if he/she would like to open another workbook when he opens a workbook. This could preferably be by means of a message box.

If it is not possbile, could i create a button and insert the relevant macro commands so that when the user clicks on that button on the main page of one workbook, it will open another workbook.

Hope you can help!

Thanks=)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opening another workbook when one opens
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opening another workbook when one opens
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Opening another workbook when one opens

In reply to: Opening another workbook when one opens

Use the Open event of a workbook. Like in the following example from Visual Basic for Excel help:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.WindowState = xlMaximized
End Sub

You want to open another workbook, I understand. Help says this is the code to do so:
Workbooks.Open "ANALYSIS.XLS"
It's a method of the workbooks object.

You'll need a msgbox and an if, but that won't be very difficult.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Opening another workbook when one opens

Proceed as follows to paste the code:

1. Open Excel.
2. Go to Tools.
3. Go to Macro.
4. Go to Visual Basic Editor.
5. Doubleclick ThisWorkbook and a window appears.
6. Paste this code.
7. Save.
8. Close Excel then open your saved file.

Here is the code. I tested it before posting it. It should do just as you want it. Just mark it and paste it.

Dim ip As String 'ip stands for input

Private Sub Workbook_Open()'opens automatically with your Excel file
AskMe 'Function asking to open workbooks
End Sub

Private Function AskMe()
ip = InputBox("Do you want to open another workbook?")
If ip = "y" Or ip = "Y" Then 'other than y/Y will exit function
OpenOthers 'Function to open the Open Dialog.
Else: Exit Function
End If
End Function

Private Sub OpenOthers()
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogOpen).Show ("C:\Documents and Settings\Toto\My Documents\")'put the directory here where your other Excel files are located
End Sub

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Opening another workbook when one opens

Swisse,

Quite nice.

Up till now, it hasn't been customary on this forum to publish code, just some hints to let the poster sort out things himself.

You might have set a new standard.

Kees

Collapse -

I was trying to help him out. If what I did was wrong, I better keep my codes to myself. I thought I was being helpful, but being helpful can also be misunderstood. I thought the purpose of this forum is to share knowledge, not to keep it just to one's self.

Collapse -
You misunderstood me.

I didn't meant to be cross or sarcastic. Just note and applaud.
It's great help, and I'm sure the original poster appreciates it very much. If you happen to be able to continue like this, do so!
The only caveat: don't copy large pieces of code written by other people, but post a link to it. That's one of the forum rules. There's no rule at all about NOT posting (working) code written by yourself. On the contrary, I should say.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: You misunderstood me.

In reply to: You misunderstood me.

To Kees Bakker,
I am a programmer, and wrote those codes myself. Before posting code or giving out programs to others we programmers debug our codes/programs making sure it works. I don't provide links to other sites which I am not sure if what they offer works, or if they are just discussing something about a code and this code seems not to work. I would prefer to sit down churn out some codes, debug it, and post it after making sure it works.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: You misunderstood me.

I'm a programmer also. I fully agree. I don't hope I failed to express myself properly the second time in a row by having you read I thought you copied the code. That was just a general remark about the forum policies.
Hope to see more of your work here, if you've got solutions for people with problems.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: You misunderstood me.

OK, thanks for clearing things up. Hope to hear more from you soon.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.