Question

Opening a Word file gives me error

Whenever I try to open a Word file by double clicking the file name, I get the error message: Windows cannot find C:\.... no matter where I have the file stored I get this message the first time I try to open it. Word is not yet running when I do this. The second time I double click it, it opens as it should. By this time, Word is running. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Opening a Word file gives me error
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Opening a Word file gives me error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
That's a known error with Word/office 97.

No patch was issued for that but it would help if you told what version.

- Collapse -
Opening a Word File gives me error

I am using MS Office Home and Student 2007 with Word 2007

- Collapse -
Sounds like an addin issue.

Remove all addins and if it fails consider that you wrote "a file" and not all files. Could this one file be defective? Could it be read only?
Bob

- Collapse -
Opening a Word file gives me an error

This partiular file is password protected and that could be the issue here. If I open Word first and then double click on the file, it opens up. So guess I will live with that approach. I had already disabled all addins before and that didn't solve the problem. Have appreciated your thoughts on this, thanks.

- Collapse -
Try this.

Save it without the password and see if that cures it. Now add the password and try again.

If it fails, report this bug to Microsoft.
Bobv

CNET Forums