General discussion

opening a port

I am trying to open a port so that I can use Ares p2p. I'm running WinXP pro SP2, No 3rd party firewall, have windows firewall disabled, my computer is a pentium4 3ghtz, 512ram, dont have a anti-virus(yet) I am running windows defender though. Now, I have Ares v2.0.9.3030 loaded on my other computer and have absolutley NO problems running it. When I loaded it on the other computer, the built in browser works, but the connection to the server for downloading just keeps saying "connecting" when working properly, it should say "online". Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: opening a port
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: opening a port
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not A Wise Thing To Do But..

...if you're willing to open a port to the world, then you'll need to check at the Ares site.. They should have instructions for doing so.

Just curious though.., if you don't have any firewall or an antivirus, why have Windows Defender? You might as well be totally defenseless.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
opening port

thanks for the input, I've checked with their site, but all they have is info for port forwarding if your using a router which I'm not, and by the way, I fully intend on loading Norton, I just happened to get to defender first. I was wondering how to do it once I have everything installed, I have No personal data on this drive yet and was trying to experiment before I could be adversely affected. Thanks again.

- Collapse -
Just Some Links
- Collapse -
opening port

Thanks again, but I've already gone through all of these and there isnt much help there. Just a bunch of people with the same problems I have and no solutions that work.

- Collapse -
Apparently, You Didn't Check Many Of Those Links..

We ask that members do some of the work themselves.. We can only guide you in the right direction..

The links below are on that page and I just reviewed a couple. I'm sure there are more.. Explore them, if you choose. And if I had such difficulties setting up a program, and it didn't provide support for such, then clearly I would dump the program.. Maybe Ares isn't for you. What are you attempting to do with the program?:

http://www.peerevolution.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3679

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_triggering/USRobotics/9106-SureConnect/Ares.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
opening ports

Once again I thank you, but don't assume that I did not "do some of the work myself", I have read these forums and many more, however, the issue they cover are for those using routers, which I'm not. I would give up on the program if I KNEW that it was the program that did not work, however, as I stated before, It works on my other computer just fine. So, I'm trying to nail down what the hang up is why the exact same program file that I loaded both computers with, has one that works fine and one that doesn't.

- Collapse -
Dial-up Connection? Satellite Connection? DSL? Cable?

I don't see that you answer my question about what you want to do with the Ares program? What kind of downloads are you trying to get.. That may make a difference on our answer.

And as asked in the header of this post, I also don't see that you've listed which type of connection you've got.. In addition, are both of your computers using the same type of connection? That would seem a little strange if there's no router and you're using the same connection type.

The question comes because some broadband ISP's actually block such connections so extreme bandwidth usage and illegal file downloads are curtailed.. If you're using a broadband modem on this machine and not the other one, have you tried resetting the modem to its default condition..

So we'll need to know the type of internet connection you're using..

- Collapse -
open port

I'm using a dsl modem, and I'm using the exact same connection. I hook up one computer and it works fine. I disconnect the cable and hook it up to the new computer and like I said, the internet browser portion works but the search and download portion says connecting but never does. I use Ares to download videos, and have never had any problems out of the other computer so I know that I can download, I just cant figure out why one and not the other?

- Collapse -
OK, Sorry Then..

P2P programs can be used for a number of different reasons but I guess I didn't pick up earlier that you were using it to download copyrighted videos. Because discussion of such is against forum policies, I'll be locking this thread.

Grif

CNET Forums

Forum Info