General discussion

Open With Programs not working!

Hi all,

I have a file with a non-windows extension (.LUP to be precise) which doesn't have an associated Windows-specific program. I have got a program called HexEdit (simple Hex and ASCII editor) which I didn't install (since it came from a colleague in a folder with just the .exe and files needed to run the program) and so Windows didn't populate the "Open With" programs menu with the program.

When I try to add it (by Browsing for the .exe in the "Open With" menu) I click on the .exe, and click "OK" yet it doesn't get added to the list.

I then tried to add the shortcut to the program to this list, but then I get the error message "[This program] is not a valid Win32 application".

I've added the shortcut to the Programs folder in the Start Menu, yet still to no avail.

So my 2 questions are:

1) How can I get rid of the shortcut which has now appeared in the "Open With" programs menu?

and 2) Is there a way to get this .exe file to appear in this list (possibly by some Registry hack) without installing any 3rd-party programs (since IT at the company I work at gets really shirty about that sort of thing)?

Thanks in advance,

RayJay.

(P.S.) I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Open With Programs not working!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Open With Programs not working!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not sure what you are trying to do here.

That .LUP file extension appears to refer to "OzWin CompuServe E-mail/Forum Access Library Update". No idea what that is, and Google doesn't appear to listed anything different from that. Here's an example of a Google site listed;
http://filext.com/file-extension/LUP

So, what is this file, where did it come from, and why are you trying to open it. Not intruding, just seeking more information that may help.

When you try to add it. Add what, the .LUP file?

If you are attempting to open that file in HexEdit, then it would seem you need to install HexEdit first. You may then be able to associate that file type with the HexEdit application through "Open with".

I'm not sure about removing "Open with" entries. I believe this may be something to do with ShellExtension, and the Context Menus, so you would need some thing like ShellExView to view and manage those.

Since this is a company machine, I am not sure any 'registry hacks' can be offered. Your IT Admin may be able to help there.

Mark

- Collapse -
Thanks for the reply

Hi mark,

Thanks very much for your swift reply.

In response to the extension, it is simply an extension used within the particular company I work which is associated with a specific software image. The .LUP file is a Hex file, and so in order to edit it, I use this HexEdit program which has been authorised by the IT dept. of the company I work at (it has nothing to do with OzWin CompuServe).

And I tried to add the "HexEdit.exe" file which was located in Program Files to my "Open With" programs menu, but that was what failed.

And I've been hunting around the company for the install file, but so far cannot find it anywhere.

Is there anything I can do with the .dll file to associated the extension to this program?

Cheers,

RayJay.

- Collapse -
Reg-hack

Oh - and with regards to RegEdit, this is authorised by the IT dept. as long as we don't completely mess the machine up (since if we do, it means a BIG slap on the wrist...!)

- Collapse -
See if the
- Collapse -
No luck...

No luck I'm afraid with those two links... But thanks for posting anyway - better than The Tech Guy forum....!

- Collapse -
Try this

I had a similar problem: if I clicked Open With, the program I wanted to open the file with was not on the list. Normally I could set it manually simply by clicking "Browse" and searching for the app - but for some reason it just didn't work this time! If I Browsed for the app and clicked "Open" nothing happened! The app was still not in the list, and XP still couldn't open the file with the program I selected.

After desperately trying everything I could think of, I finally found a solution:

Go to the folder were your .LUP-file is located. Then choose Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types.

Now look for LUP-extension in the Registered File Types-list. If it's there, click Advanced (if not, just create it with "New"). An Edit File Type-dialog should appear.

If the "open"-option is already on the list, click "Edit", if not, create it by clicking "New". Now click Browse and search for the program you wish to open the file with.

Just click Ok, and you're done. You can also set an icon for the file by clicking "Change Icon" if you wish..

This worked for me, hope it works for you as well.

- Collapse -
YES!...... Sort of....

Hi Helecat - that worked great for opening it, but now I get another error !!

When I open the file, which is in My Documents, I get the following Error:

C:\Documents does not exist.

When I open the file using the program (by doing file -> open) it works fine - it also works fine when the file path for the LUP file has no spaces in.

But it seems to fail when there is a space in the file path - any ideas?

- Collapse -
Sorry to do this...

BUMP

- Collapse -
No problem.

I'm still struggling with trying to understand what you are doing, but that is just my own lack of tech expertise. So, hopefully, others here will chip in again now that you've brought your problem back in to view.

One thing that strikes me though. You mentioned that when trying to open the file you get an error "C:\Documents does not exist", and you mentioned spacing.

That error seems to be related to the old DOS folder and file naming convention, ie, only 8 characters plus the 3 character file extension. You probably know that DOS and Windows 3.1 only managed a short path name, and anything longer than 8 characters in a name was truncated to C:\Docume~1\filename.xxx . Also, spaces were not permitted, hence the use of the underscore, _folder, _file, etc.

Later Windows versions allowed longer path, folder and file names, but even then, there is an absolute limit of 256 characters in the full path, so something like;
C:\Documents and Settings\Mark Flaxman\My Documents\Folder 1\Folder 2\Folder 2 ..
and so on, where all the characters add up to more than 256, would not be recognised.

So, is this some sort of clue? Is this Hex Editor an old DOS application?

What happens if;

1] Place the file you want to work on in the root directory, eg C:\filename.xxx

2] Or, place the file in the same folder as the Hex Editor application.exe.

If you try either, I would work in copies of that file, not the original, just in case XP gets mad and corrupts the file.

Mark

- Collapse -
Still no luck

Dear Mark,

Thanks for the reply:

1) When it's in the root C: folder, it opens up fine, with no problems.

2) When it's in the program directory (C:\Program Files\Hexedit), I get the error saying "C:\Program does not exist", which is why my initial thought of the spaces in the folders arose.

I'm pretty sure it's not the DOS problem, since when it's installed on a machine, it works fine from any directory (I've tried looking on those machines, for the install, by to no avail) - spaces or none.

It's not a massive problem, since I can use the underscored folder names, but it's still an annoyance.

- Collapse -
Yes that sure sounds like

a path/file naming convention problem.

I'm not sure what the answer is, except that work-around of working directly from the root directory. Perhaps others will have a better idea.

If I remember correctly, DOS applications didn't 'install' as we understand that term today. They retained all their files in the one directory, and shared DLLs and other system resources were not used until later Windows versions.

So, I have another option, Happy

Move, (or copy), that Hexedit folder to the root directory, eg C:\Hexedit . That way, short name conventions are preserved.

Mark

- Collapse -
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You've done it!

Copying the Hexedit folder to the root directory has managed to solve it!

Thank you ever so much Mark!!

- Collapse -
That's great!

Well done, and thanks for telling us.

I still wish I understood what you were doing though..... Devil

Congratulations.

Mark

- Collapse -
Use double quotes

Like you said, putting in the root (where you have no spaces in the folder or file name) will fix it. Otherwise, you would need to put double quotes around the full folder and file name.

CNET Forums