The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Open Source the 700mhz!

by Alansmallen / July 27, 2007 11:45 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open Source the 700mhz!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open Source the 700mhz!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wha..., fo' real!?...
by shawnlin / July 27, 2007 12:19 PM PDT

Okay, I love the ***** (thumps chest). but I think and explanation of the plan will have to be crafted first, then the raising of $5Billion to outbid Google (...or maybe at least $1Billion)...

Some questions to start off:
What are the "rules and regulation of purchase"?
Do you have to be a registered business/corporation?
If this thing is intended to be purchased for open sourcing - what does that really mean and what does that really entail?
If this is going to be the "Craigslist" of wireless, what's the mission statement/objective, etc? Or will it be the eBay or Google of wireless? or...something totally out of the box?

When there is a firm understanding what the goal and process of attaining it is, then we can size the Fundable.org goal...and I'm not even sure how much Fundable.org goes up to. I'm sure the site will get some press if a goal of $1,000,000,000 is stated...maybe that will get more folks thinkin'... It may indeed be the largest non-profit/-government fundraising goal, ever.

...geez, I thought I was onto something, I just didn't know quite how to put it. And thanks Molly and Tom (MoTom) for entertaining the idea... Happy

I humbly ask all interested to put on their thinkin' caps and go of to look in to the endless possibilities of using the
"for sale" 700MHz spectrum - have fun! Happy

Best wishes,
Shalin

Collapse -
the e-mail on BOL ep.526
by shawnlin / July 27, 2007 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: wha..., fo' real!?...

as read on BOL ep.526...
Open source the 700MHz... Oh and SpectacleFest
Okay, I need some help fleshing out, clarifying, or otherwise developing this possibly super-empowering idea about the impending sale of the 700MHz spectrum...What about a co-op model of ownership and upkeep where a few million average Joes/Janes pool their money and purchase whatever is available and split it equally. Would this be open-source wireless or more like HAM Radio 2.0? We can use Fundable.org to raise $$$$$$$$$$$...

I think the combined powers of Molly and Tom (aka MoTom, of which the combined power is in units of awesomeness) can help to organize the rush of ideas getting tangled in my brain... I just think that this is an amazing opportunity, and I just don't know to figure out an "open-sourcey-Web-2.0" solution... Help us MoTom, you're our only hope... Happy

So, got any ideas?

Best,
Shalin

P.S. - Tom, distribution of the spectrum at SpectacleFest sounds like a good idea and a great incentive to bring the event to fruition! Happy

Collapse -
couple related NPR stories...
by shawnlin / July 27, 2007 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: wha..., fo' real!?...
Collapse -
Remove the FCC!
by Nicholas Buenk / July 27, 2007 1:02 PM PDT

They're purpose is too support old media! Wink

Collapse -
you're right!
by woodygg / July 27, 2007 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Remove the FCC!

we can all broadcast on whatever frequencies we want. free for all!

Collapse -
With the advent of
by benanzo / July 27, 2007 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: you're right!

smart networking and efficient protocol negotiation/packet routing, the need for the FCC to regulate and sell publicly-owned spectrum to the highest bidder (always the incumbents like AT&T) is rapidly waning. The internet is not regulated (see net neutrality) by the government and it functions brilliantly.

You need to stop listening to Ted Stephens.

Collapse -
my point stands
by woodygg / July 27, 2007 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: With the advent of

and who the #@%$# is Ted?

Collapse -
by benanzo / July 28, 2007 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: my point stands

google "Ted Stephens"

Collapse -
Regulation may be needed..
by Nicholas Buenk / August 2, 2007 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: With the advent of

To stop it becoming a 2 tier network...

Collapse -
bump...
by shawnlin / August 2, 2007 11:21 AM PDT

does anyone know of any other "open source" orgs - maybe the EFF or similar that'd be up for taking care of a slice of the spectrum?

--S

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.