How To forum

Question

Open .pub extension to .pdf or .doc?

by Watsisname / November 16, 2011 7:09 PM PST

I recently had a .pub extension file sent to me. What is the easiest way of opening into, say, .pdf or .doc. I have Office 2000 with the Compatability pack for Office 2007 system version 12.0.6612.1000 and Adobe ReaderX. Is there an addon or update that might help withought me buying Publisher?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open .pub extension to .pdf or .doc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open .pub extension to .pdf or .doc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: extension
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 7:20 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 7:23 PM PST

I agree with Kees, there seems to be no "Viewer" available for opening and looking at .pub files. Microsoft has other viewers, for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, but nothing for its Publisher application.

Microsoft explains the (limited) options here; http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher-help/where-is-the-publisher-viewer-HA010233906.aspx

Is there any chance you can ask the sender of this file to send it in some other format? Although many users have Microsoft Office suites, not all have the Publisher app.

Mark

Collapse -
General Info: Part Answer
by Watsisname / November 17, 2011 6:22 PM PST
In reply to: Interesting.

Dear Kees_B & MarkFlax, I ferreted out a website that can change about any format: www.jamzar.com/
The only drawbacks are; There is an upper limit on file size for free use and that one must upload, await an e mail link and then download.
However, It worked very quick and slick, at this moment in time it would be my first port of call

I would prefer to download a reader that includes .pub, preferably freeware, for my private use in computer.
Any more ideas would be appreciated.
Regards John

Collapse -
ERROR Should be www.zamzar.com/
by Watsisname / November 17, 2011 6:31 PM PST

My last reply should have read www.zamzar.com Using a qwerty keyboard the mistake is obviously Freudian.
Apologies John

Collapse -
Best answer!
by jamiedb200 / May 28, 2012 5:16 AM PDT

Yes, whatisname, Zamzar.com converted a .pub file to .doc (MS Word) format quickly for free. Excellent service if you don't mind waiting a few minutes. Much better than (somehow) installing an old copy of the entirely obsolete (and unlamented!) Publisher. Thanks!

Collapse -
Looks like you're out of luck
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 18, 2011 5:28 AM PST

There is no .Pub reader.

I still think the sender could be approached to offer you files in future in a format that can be opened by you and others who also don't have Publisher installed.

Frankly? It is not good form to send people files that they cannot open.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!