HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Open one, another closes!!!

by sweetjewels / October 15, 2007 5:33 PM PDT

Hii all

Running windows XP home and a viao laptop

Problem is, when i open a download, dont matter if its a attachment from a email or software that im downloading, when i open it, any windows i have open close and it wants to send a error report!!!

This has been going on for months, but had enough of it now.

Any ideas?? BTW im really not tech minded, so if you have the answer, please try and put it in Blonde girl english lol

Thank you xxx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open one, another closes!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open one, another closes!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you scan for viruses?
by BrianZachary / October 15, 2007 6:16 PM PDT

I've never had this problem but it sounds like it might be a bug, or some kind of spyware maybe? Have you tried scanning for any viruses, spyware, etc.? Someone else may have another idea, but that's a start anyway.

Collapse -
Mmm yep
by sweetjewels / October 15, 2007 6:39 PM PDT

Done that, do that as a weekly routine. his has been going on for months, only now has it just got to me as i had some stuff open i was working on and lost the lot.

So thanks but im pretty sure thats not the problem x

Collapse -
IE windows or Folders?
by BrianZachary / October 15, 2007 8:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Mmm yep

Just wondering, are the windows that are closing IE windows or folders on your computer? If they are IE windows, you can remedy that. Have you tried using a different browser?

I use Avant Browser. One of the thing I love about Avant Browser is when you open it, it will reopen any webpage that was open in it when it was closed, no matter if you closed it yourself or if it was closed for some other reason. If your computer crashes and restarts for some reason, when you open Avant Browser, all of the pages you had open will be there. So you don't have to try to remember what pages you had up.

Avant Browser also has an online storage that will save all your bookmarks and settings, even if you uninstall it and reinstall it, no matter which computer you reinstall it on. It's a tabbed browser and to me it's more customizable than any other browser. It has a lot of nice features other browsers don't.

Avant Browser is free and you can download it here at Download.com:

http://www.download.com/Avant-Browser/3000-2356_4-10752699.html

It's worth a try anyway.

Collapse -
Thanks
by sweetjewels / October 15, 2007 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: IE windows or Folders?

I might look into that, of the top of my head, it will close jsut about anything i have open, any windows programs, games, anything. So no real connection in it all. There must be a bug somewhere, jsut not a clue where

If i dont get any help here then i may have to look into another browser, firefox is one i like, but im guessing im gonan run into the same issues

ISSUES ISSUES ISSUES.... women for ya

Collapse -
Give it a couple days.
by BrianZachary / October 15, 2007 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

You haven't had the thread up long, so everyone hasn't had a chance to give any suggestions yet. See what you can figure out and keep checking back and let us know how you're doing.

Collapse -
By any chance could you ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 16, 2007 4:16 AM PDT

give us the EXACT error message you see (and it wants to send a error report!!!)

Have you clicked the button to send that error? (Sometimes you get immediate feedback with a solution)

By any chance do you happen to have Earthlink for an ISP (and Earthlink's Total Access) or the Earthlink toolbar with any ISP? If so you might try uninstalling the Total Access or Toolbar as both have been known to cause problems symptomatically similar to yours on certain specific computer/software configurations.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.