A little visit to the OpenOffice forum was all it took.
Turns out as careful as I was to comb through all the settings, I missed one check box.
Hi all, last question today, I promise.
For years, I have used MS Office Suite because it does everything I like perfectly but the last time I "bought" it, was "Office 2000". Well, we all know that doesn't work too well on Win7x64 so I have reverted to "OpenOffice".
I have to be honest, I have never hated a program so much. One accidental key press on the wrong key and pages of work disappear, and I seem to all kinds of problems accessing the backups because of "access denied" messages. I finally moved where the backups are stored to "My Documents" so I can get to them next time.
But my real problem is with "Spelling". I have all the proper dictionaries installed and it seems to work pretty good, sometimes, but the real problem is that each and every time I open a new document, I am forced to go to "Format-Character-Language" and RE-enter the "English (USA)" because it keeps defaulting back to "none". I have combed through the tools and settings and it seemed like I got it to work for a little while but recently, it's back to defaulting to "none" for the Language. That is really frustrating and I know it has to be a simple fix but it alludes me at the moment.
I would be super appreciative if someone could tell me where to make the change that will keep the language setting so it always defaults to "English (USA)".
And thank you all for all your hard work and great help.