Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Open Office Page Framing

by fun111 / December 12, 2007 5:40 AM PST

With great frustration, I have struggled, without success, for half an hour to implement the elementary PERMANENT change of having 1.5" spaces on the left and the right sides (and top and bottom) of pages in any new Open Office document.

Search in the Help menus of Open Office have not provided any clue at all to the above elementary PERMANENT change (as my default).

I shall appreciate the instruction for the above simple change (from Open Office's default spacings of about 0.75").

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open Office Page Framing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open Office Page Framing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 10:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you, Bob
by fun111 / December 12, 2007 11:40 AM PST
In reply to: Try...

Thank you, Bob, for helping me out again. (You had helped me earlier about the boldfacing/italicization problem in Thunderbird.)

Before posting my Open Office question, I had tried changing the Template, but obviously I was doing something wrong. (Incidentally, the Template changing procedure stated in the Open Office Help Menu seems surprisingly complex to me!)

Chuck

Collapse -
I'm subscribing to this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you, Bob

I just installed the latest Open Office. I'll be back tomorrow to see if you nailed this down.

If it doesn't work out, just write back and I'll try it here and share a short guide. I tend to not write "step by steps" but since I use this a lot I really should see where the issue or rough patch is.

Good luck, till tomorrow,

Bob

Collapse -
I did succeed...
by fun111 / December 12, 2007 12:26 PM PST

Bob,

I should have explicitly written in my previous note that after receiving your earlier suggestion, I did succeed in installing my own default Open Office Template by carefully following the ("somewhat complex") procedure in OO's Help Menu.

I highly commend you for the marvelous manner in which you help out people when they get stuck with some or other frustrating computer problems.

Hopefully, I won't have any further problems until at least the start of the New Year. So I take this opportunity to wish you happy holidays and a peaceful 2008.

Chuck

Collapse -
Thank you Chuck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2007 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: I did succeed...

Glad I was able to help.

Bob

Collapse -
A Different, Font-Related Problem!
by fun111 / December 15, 2007 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you Chuck.

Bob,

I have a certain font installed in my Vista Fonts menu, and I would very much like to add it to my Open Office Fonts menu. The procedure stated in OO's Help starts by saying: "Go to {install_path}/program directory; Enter: ./spadmin; Click "Fonts" "(and so on).

I am mystified. Exactly WHERE am I supposed to ""Go to {install_path}/program directory;
Enter: ./spadmin; Click "Fonts"" (and so on)?

Can you please demystify me? (In my previous note, I had expressed hope that at least until January 1 I won't have any new problems concerning my computer use; and here I am with a new problem!)

Thank you very much.

Chuck

Collapse -
Hmm, I'd start a new thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2007 3:10 AM PST

spadmin is primarily used by those on Linux. I have yet to run this on Windows (and would have to check if it is on Windows.)

In parting the usual reason is that the font is not shown because the printer driver is not installed (your post lacks this detail) or it's not showing in the Fonts tool in the control panel.

Remember to make a new post and add a few more details.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?