HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Open Office "File > Open" Listing of My Saved Documents

by fun111 / May 27, 2008 4:18 AM PDT

In Open Office (2.4 version), after clicking on File > Open, how do I get the listing of my saved documents to appear (on a full page display) such that the names of about five documents appear per line, rather than the name of just one document per line??

I prefer the former appearance because it minimizes the need for scrolling down the big list.

In fact I ?somehow? used to get for a while the listing in the above preferred manner, and ?somehow? I am back to the listing of one document per line. In either situation, I do not know what accidental change I must have done!

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open Office "File > Open" Listing of My Saved Documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open Office "File > Open" Listing of My Saved Documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you mean

If you mean the file open dialog box, then there are two ways.

The first, is the right most button along the top of the dialog box. Sort of a blue and white box, with little dots in it, and an arrow off to the side. Click on that, and select "Icons". Or, right click somewhere down where the files are listed, just not ON a file, and under the View submenu will be the same set of choices. Select "Icons" again. If the Icons view isn't what you wanted, you can try all the others until you find the one you do want.

Collapse -
BTW
by Jimmy Greystone / May 27, 2008 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: If you mean

BTW, this method applies to ALL Windows programs. There may be a few odd exceptions, but in general this method is universal for all Windows programs.

Collapse -
Reply to me by Jimmy Greystone titled "If you mean"
by fun111 / May 27, 2008 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: If you mean

Jimmy,

Thank you for your prompt reply!

You suggested two optional solutions. I am embarrassed to say that I did not quite understand either of them!

Option (1) was:

(1)Click on the right most button along the top of the dialog box -- sort of a blue and white box, with little dots in it, and an arrow off to the side-- and select "Icons".

Which "Dialog box" were you referring for me to go to and then to click on the right most button along its top??

==================================

Option (2) was:

(2) Right click somewhere down where the files are listed, just not ON a file, and under the View submenu will be the same set of choices. Select "Icons" again...

In this option, as I understood it, you suggested to me to go to my file listing which I get after clicking on "File > Open" in Open Office. When I do that, there is no place on the page displaying my file list to right-click on somewhere down (and just not ON a file). If I click somewhere in the empty space in that page, all that happens is that whichever particular file whose name happens to be on the left side of the clicking point gets highlighted for opening (or renaming or deleting).

I highly appreciate your patience in providing me further instructions!

Thank you oncer again.

Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / May 27, 2008 6:55 AM PDT

Well, when you click on File>>Open, a dialog box, or a new window, should open. It should look like the first image on this link (just ignore the rest of the stuff on there) http://www.oooninja.com/2008/02/office-compatibility-pack-review.html It won't be EXACTLY like that, but it should look very very similar.

So why don't we first establish that we're looking at the same thing, and then go from there. When you click File>>Open, do you see a window that looks very similar to the top most image (under the GUI Conversion section) on the page I linked to above? It won't be exact, but it will be very similar.

Collapse -
Reply to Jimmy Greystone
by fun111 / May 27, 2008 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

Jimmy:

Thanks for the follow-up.

I do not see a window of the kind you provided the illustration for.

When I click on File >> Open, the window which contains the file list has the title C:\Users\C:\Desktop\Documents; and on the right side of the line containing that title there are three icons for (1) Up one level, (2) Create New Directory, and (3) Default Directory.

Let me provide a little relevant history how I get the above window; for that might help you diagnose my problem:

For many months, File>> Open used to give me the file list with one file name per line. Then one day --I don't know how-- File >> Open started providing me in a full size window the file list with about five file names per line, and I was very happy about that accident! Then "something" happened --I don't know what I might have done accidentally-- and File >> Open started providing me in a full size window the list of "Program" files. With the help of "Help" menu of Open Office, I somehow managed to get back through File >> Open the file list (with one file name per line), the title of this window being, as I said above, C:\Users\C:\Desktop\Documents.

Seeing about five file names per line is a great convenience. So I look forward to your suggestion to get back that facility!

Thank you very much.

Collapse -
Strange
by Jimmy Greystone / May 27, 2008 11:03 AM PDT

Strange... When I open OpenOffice 2.4 on my system and go to File>>Open, I get a dialog box very similar to the one I posted a link to. Along the top right are four buttons. From left to right: Go to previous folder, Up one level, Create new Directory, and then View Menu.

So at this point I'm wondering if it's OpenOffice 2.4 you're using, and if it's not some modified version. If you press Ctrl+O on your keyboard or click on the file open toolbar button, do they bring up the same window?

Maybe you should just take a screenshot of what you're seeing (press print screen, then paste that into something like Paint) and post it somewhere so I can see what it is you're seeing. At this point, I have absolutely no idea what it is you're seeing, and can't really help until I do have some idea.

Collapse -
I accidentally found the solution!
by fun111 / May 27, 2008 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Strange

Jimmy:

I accidentally found the solution to my problem!

I obtain four file names listed per line as desired if I UNSELECT (that is, "uncheck" the box) "Use Open Office.org dialogs" in the Open/Save dialogs area in Tools >> Options>> Open Office.org - General.

I hope the above makes sense to you.

Thank you so much for your help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.