TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Open Item/Returned HDTVs

by cl5621 / December 10, 2007 1:57 AM PST

has anyone ever purchased or would consider purchasing an HDTV that the store now calls an open item. i'm noticing at some BB and CC stores quite a few HDTV returns. if you ask a salesperson most of the time they tell you the tv was returned because the customer was unhappy that the picture of the hdtv wasn't like the picture at the store, or at least thats what i'm getting from some sales folks.

there's a CC warehouse here that sells quite a few of these open item hdtvs. if you have bought one, hows the tv working out for you? or have you had a bad experience with one of these tvs? would you consider buying one, why, why not?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open Item/Returned HDTVs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open Item/Returned HDTVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the price is good???
by jcrobso / December 10, 2007 4:46 AM PST

Many people buy a HDTV and hook it to a SD analog source using a S-video or composite cable! Of course the picture is NOT going to be as good as it was in the store! So they bring it back.
Just make sure you can return it if there is a problem. John

Collapse -
Yeah, or sure check store policy if you want to return.
by NM_Bill / December 11, 2007 1:56 AM PST

Open box items are one of the flurry of somewhat overlooked details in busy places like BB & CC where the staff is not attuned to taking care of all the details when sales is the focus.

Take a good look see for things like are all the pieces there. Then about full warranty available for you, possibly the second buyer. You can only guess why the first buyer did the return. Yes, always some element of risk to you. Choose to do such deals with both eyes wide open. I'm inclined to believe they don't take enough discount off of these items to make it truly worthwhile. You might regard all such items as having proven that unit is problematic from the git go & why ask for problems.

Your call.

Collapse -
look around the product.
by gabereyes / December 11, 2007 1:44 PM PST

make sure there is not a white and green sticker on it, if so the TV came back broken and went to service.

very few or serviced TV's but you might look anyways.

as for why they are returned, there is a lot of reasons.

most common is the TV was to big or small for the customer and/or space were they was going to put in, and the TV didnt magiclly turn everything into HD or wasnt hooked up right, this is because the customer didnt know you had to get HD service and in most cases the cable guy hooked up the new HD box with a coax cable and not component video or HDMI, and it takes a second TV to figer out that it was hooked up wrong in the first place.

note: most TV's sold with professional install do not get returned, So if you are looking for a plasma TV BB offers free basic install with any plasma over $999.99 and most companys will match this, and if its an LCD over $999.99 its only 50 bucks to have it done.

I also bought my TV as an open product, at had been on display for about 8-12 months, it is now about 3 years old and no problems.
good luck
gabe

Collapse -
Excellent Information!
by cl5621 / December 13, 2007 9:25 PM PST

thank you for your imput folks!

Collapse -
Open items
by ruddyjm / December 16, 2007 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Excellent Information!

I bought a open box at CC, ended up returning it, color was real bad. Bought a new one it works great.

Collapse -
Purchasing returned TV's or not
by jfordorl / December 16, 2007 6:24 AM PST

I work for Sam's club, and agree with the previous posts that most of our HDTV returns are because the previous buyers did not hook them up using HDTV cables and were disappointed with the resulting pictures. They might have thought that MOST ALL programming would be in HD, which it surely is not at this time! Also, some brands or models do not perform as good a conversion job of SDTV or Digital signals to the HDTV set's native resolution as others do, leading to another disappointment in watching SDTV on their new sets. About 2% of electronic items will fail within the first year of use, and if it makes it past that time frame the failure rate drops dramatically. Would I buy used - yes, if I can have a reasonable return priviledge and can purchase a good extended warranty because the set is indeed used. I would NOT buy any used set that already shows permanent display damage, or screen artifacts, regardless of the price!

Collapse -
A different perspective
by 3rdalbum / December 16, 2007 5:54 PM PST

If a store is getting a lot of TVs come back because "the picture isn't like it was at the store", then the salespeople aren't doing what they should be doing; they aren't making sure that their customers are seeing real-world footage on the TV. There's a difference between showing a TV in its best light and misleading customers, and I think this falls into the second category. Do you really want to buy from a shop which implies that you'll get Blu-ray-like quality from your TV on normal broadcasts?

Having said that, if you're stingy and if the shop only has one or two TVs like this, then the "open-box" could be a good way to go. If it's a good discount, and you still get the manufacturer's warranty (there's no reason why you shouldn't), then go for it. If there's only one or two "open-box" TVs that have been returned from customers, that doesn't necessarily mean that the salespeople are misrepresenting the TVs. I know from experience that no matter how long you spend with people to inform them, and show them the differences for themselves, some of the time they still don't have the foggiest clue what you're saying or what they're buying.

Collapse -
A different perspective?
by kre8ive / December 19, 2007 12:55 AM PST

Stores that i have been to almost never use hd programming at their locations, and until recently with blu ray and hd-dvd there was no such thing as hd content at a retail store. Have you actually seen the lighting at BB or any other store? Its horrible. nothing quite like warehouse lights. All of the stores I've been to use sd cable inless it is a floor model attached to a blu-ray player. If anything its giong to look better at home.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?